Joystick

Tough justice: Combat game ‘Injustice’ offers accessible fighting style in alternate superhero universe

The 2011 reboot of “Mortal Kombat” grabbed my attention like no other fighting game has. For its follow-up, NetherRealm Studios was handed the keys to the DC Comics franchise, “Injustice: Gods Among Us.”

I was excited to see if I could jump in just as easily as before.

Games like “Street Fighter” and “Marvel vs. Capcom” can seem pretty obtuse to new players, so I really appreciated the single-player modes in “Mortal Kombat,” which actually bothered to teach you how to play.

Rather than just swapping “Mortal Kombat” characters for DC superheroes, NetherRealm crafted some cool new systems to make “Injustice” feel different. Each character has a specific power that can be activated with a single button, in addition to their standard combos and super moves.

For example, Wonder Woman can switch between her lasso and a sword and shield, Batman can call in robotic bats to surround him and Superman can charge his abilities for greater damage.

In most fighting games, it doesn’t really matter what stage in which you’re fighting — it’s just background visuals for the fights.

In “Injustice,” though, the stages are filled with interactive elements. Throwable cars, swinging pipes and missile-firing buttons can be easily turned against your opponents.

By performing a simple combo in certain spots, you can even hurl your opponents into completely different parts of the level. These transitions result in crazy scenes of characters hurtling through walls, off of buildings and even into other dimensions.

Speaking of other dimensions, the story mode offers some context for all the hero-on-hero violence.

In an alternate universe, the Joker unleashes a nuclear weapon on Metropolis, killing thousands, including Lois Lane. This tips Superman over the edge. He kills the Joker and creates an authoritarian world government, forcing the other heroes to join him or die.

In the main universe, the Joker enacts a similar plan, but instead of a massive explosion, it transports him and a few heroes into that alternate universe, beginning a war between Superman’s regime and the Justice League.

Much like the story mode in “Mortal Kombat,” “Injustice” is divided into chapters, each featuring a different character for three to five fights at a time. Most chapters include a mini-game, like blocking thrown cars or aiming arrows at a rampaging Solomon Grundy.

Cutscenes seamlessly transition into battles, which is a cool trick, but the cutscenes look strangely bad compared to the fights. Not many games look worse during cutscenes than in action, so it’s hard to figure out why.

Other single-player modes include Battles and S.T.A.R. Labs. Battles set up a ladder of 10 fights with a character-specific ending. S.T.A.R. Labs offer short, distinctive challenges, like dodging Catwoman’s attacks for 20 seconds or protecting a civilian using only heat vision.

Compared to any other game, this would be an exceedingly full package, but “Injustice” doesn’t quite have what “Mortal Kombat” had. I missed the tag-team fights, which were fun variations that also allowed for cooperative play.

The overall tone of the game is also a bit muted. “Mortal Kombat” is nothing if not over the top, and NetherRealm seems somewhat shackled by the DC license.

Still, the accessibility of this game is even greater than that of “Mortal Kombat,” and it’s hard to ignore the appeal of watching Aquaman feed The Flash to sharks.

If you’re a super fan, or just looking to beat up your friends for a few rounds, “Injustice” is a solid one-two punch.