Syracuse adds Dutch guard to Class of 2013

Isabella Slim, a 5-foot-11 guard from Amsterdam, has signed a Letter of Intent to become the fifth member of Syracuse’s Top-10 Class of 2013, head coach Quentin Hillsman announced Monday. Hillsman coached Slim as an assistant for the Netherlands in the 2012 U18 World Championships.

Slim averaged 12.2 and 5.8 in the U18 World Championships that year, helping the Dutch to a fourth place finish. Slim is the second Dutch player Hillsman has recruited in recent years. Forward Karen van den Nieuwendijk came to SU in 2011, but never played a game for the Orange.

She averaged 12.6 points and 5.8 rebounds per game playing for the U17 team in the World Championships that same year, leading the Netherlands to an eighth place finish.

“Isabella has international experience playing at a high level against talented players,” Hillsman said in an SU Athletics release. “I believe she will make an immediate impact for our team as a versatile perimeter player as we enter the ACC.”

Slim has played for the club team CTO Amsterdam since 2010. She led the team with 12.7 points per game in 2012-13, while averaging 5.7 rebounds and shooting 46.3 percent from the field. She is currently a member of the Dutch U18 and U19 teams. She played with the U17 team in 2012.

She joins guards Tasia Butler and Alexis Peterson and twins Bria and Briana Day to make up a Syracuse recruiting class that ranks No. 10 in the nation according to Collegiate Girls Basketball Report and No. 12 by Blue Star Basketball Report. The Orange boasted the nation’s No. 6 recruiting class, according to ESPN HoopGurlz, last season.

“Isabella is a tremendous shooter that can play three positions for us,” Hillsman said. “She will give us the ability to stretch opponents’ defenses, to run and make 3-pointers in transition, and she can guard up the floor.”