Chancellor Search

SU officials release chancellor requirements based on student, faculty input

In more than 1,560 words, Syracuse University officials summed up exactly what they are looking for in the next chancellor.

“Syracuse University embarks on the search for its next Chancellor seeking an individual of significant stature and powerful ideas who embraces the mission of a comprehensive research university in a comprehensive way, an individual who understands that the creation of knowledge is a driving force in today’s world,” according to the position description.

After two months of research and collecting input from the SU community, the search committee released the chancellor position description online late last week, said Kevin Quinn, senior vice president for public affairs.

Chancellor Nancy Cantor announced Oct. 12 she plans to leave the university when her contract expires in 2014. The committee is expected to interview candidates during the summer and end its search by November or December. Joanne Alper, vice chair of the Board of Trustees, chairs the committee.

The posting gave background on the university and what the next chancellor must do to face upcoming challenges. The posting mentioned diversity, involvement downtown and on campus, athletics and finances, among other topics.

Here are several highlights from the description:

• On academic leadership: “On the Syracuse campus, the new Chancellor will be charged with strengthening the residential experience of the diverse and inclusive community and ensuring that programs and facilities support the intellectual life of the students.”

• On community engagement: “… the next Chancellor must be a visible, supportive presence both on campus and in external settings with a range of audiences.”

• On financial and resource development: “The next Chancellor must be an engaged and energetic fundraiser able to further develop sources of financial support for the University from individuals, corporations, foundations, and the U.S. and foreign governments.”

The position description is a result of discussions and forums held with the university community in the last few months.

In March, the search committee organized campus forums for staff, faculty and students to provide input on what qualities they would like to see in the next chancellor. The forums focused on diversity on campus, SU’s involvement with the community, the university budget and how SU can stay at the forefront of changes in higher education.