Liberal

Rockler: Graduating senior columnist offers final words following editorial career

For the past three years I’ve had the honor of writing for the liberal point of view in The Daily Orange. As a columnist, I don’t get one of those fancy ducks. Instead I’ll use this column to reflect on my time in Syracuse and at The D.O.

In the last four years I’ve developed a love for Syracuse that I would hope everyone is able to understand. I’ve been told this city is a place for “eds and meds” — referring to the stereotype that Syracuse is only worth the university and the hospitals.

I can’t reach the same conclusion. I’ve covered the county legislature for a journalism class. I’ve interacted with fellow journalism students who cover the city. There’s more to this place than you might imagine. There are great stories waiting to be reported and read. My experience in journalism has developed my appreciation for the city. Syracuse isn’t just the university.

I noticed that the way I’ve composed my viewpoints has changed a bit. I’m still liberal — there’s no changing that. But I’ve become friends with people who have completely different views. Rather than try to challenge them, I accept them and try to understand their perspective. It’s made me well rounded, and possibly more moderate.

The ability to process disparate viewpoints is important. It’s what America has and will always need. We hear about dysfunction in Washington, D.C., often and will continue to in the future. It’s likely because too many representatives are uncompromising in their beliefs, adhering to a strict ideology. We will not get better policy unless all are willing to accept others’ viewpoints and understand them. Right now, the political future does not look great.

One future that does still look promising is one of my majors: newspaper journalism. It’s not going away. Friends and acquaintances continually remind me that newspapers are a “dying medium.” Far from it, actually. Compelling writing is still important. We will not suddenly get all of our news from broadcast.

Pay attention to the news you hear on TV, radio and online. Many of the stories you hear can be sourced back to newspaper journalists.

I cannot end this column without thanking several important people:

I thank my editors (in chronological order): Lauren Tousignant, Beckie Strum, Meghin Delaney and Rachael Barillari. You’ve made me a much better writer. I’m thankful to all of my professors who have furthered my writing and reporting skills. I’d like to thank Rachel Marcus for encouraging me to apply to The D.O. I wouldn’t be writing this if I didn’t even apply.

In my first column in 2010, I predicted that Scott Brown winning his election to the Senate was fairly meaningless in the greater scheme of politics. Turned out I got that one right — he was not re-elected.

I hope I’ve kept you entertained. More importantly, I hope I’ve made you think. This column has covered everything from body scanners at airports to carrying concealed weapons on college campuses. We may not agree, but we can disagree in an agreeable way.

Leaving The D.O, Syracuse University and the city of Syracuse won’t be easy. Part of me will always be left here.

Harmen Rockler is a senior newspaper and online journalism and political science major. His column appears weekly. He can be reached at [email protected] or followed on Twitter at @LeftofBoston.