Clicker

Paving the way: New Normal thoughtfully depicts real life LGBT families

We’ve all heard the hype about Emmy-magnet “Modern Family,” a mockumentary-style show that explores the dynamic among individuals in nontraditional families. The television show has been commended for pushing the envelope on age; race; and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender stereotypes in a hilarious, non-pressuring way.

But despite making leaps toward breaking down traditional family boundaries, the show has received criticism from the LGBT community for portraying Cameron and Mitchell’s relationship as unaffectionate. Fans even created a Facebook campaign to demand a kiss between the two, and the show had to have a special episode — appropriately titled “The Kiss” — to feature the couple kissing. In the background.

So where can we find a show that explores a modern family and portrays these families a bit more realistically, PDA and all? Enter The New Normal.

“The New Normal” is an NBC sitcom that airs Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m. It centers on Bryan and David, a gay couple living in Los Angeles, and the daily struggles they face with each other and the people around them.

Much of this first season deals with the couple’s desire and preparation for having a baby: asking their good friend Goldie to be the surrogate, shopping for and naming the baby, etc. There are plenty of hilarious hiccups along the way that lead up to the season finale, when Goldie goes into labor during Bryan and David’s elaborate and well-planned wedding ceremony.

The show is without a doubt an in-your-face series with a bit of edginess that refuses to wait for society to make up its mind about homosexuality. Creator and executive producer Ryan Murphy claims his show “stands on the shoulders” of “Will & Grace,” the same-sex marriage-equality trailblazer.

It is clear that “The New Normal” pushes much further into normalizing homosexuality. Rather than acting outrageously flamboyant (Jack from “Will & Grace”), the men in this new show are secure in their homosexuality without having to flaunt it. Sure, there is plenty of kissing, holding and cuddling, but nothing more than what you would see between a heterosexual television couple.

What’s great about this show is that it blends quick-witted humor with important political and human-rights issues, protesting hot topics such as the Defense of Marriage Act. It also adds some unexpected sentimental moments, such as the tear-jerking scene when Bryan and David have an epiphany about naming their baby.

Despite its sophistication, “The New Normal” seems to have gone under the radar thus far, receiving mixed reviews that claim the show wants what “Modern Family” has. But it’s clear that the show has great potential. In order to get these numbers up, the writers may have to sacrifice their demand to express their political and human rights viewpoints for more humor and entertainment.

Keep an eye on this show. While laughing away at the cutting jokes, you may be surprised at how much you can learn in one episode.