Final Four

On the block: Syracuse vs. Michigan

Point Guard

Michael Carter-Williams has been unstoppable of late, averaging 18 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 4.5 steals over Syracuse’s last two games. The 6-foot-6 point guard is a nightmare matchup for opposing teams. He’s one of the best distributors in the country and is tough to contain when he doesn’t settle for jump shots. But Michigan has an electrifying point guard of its own in Trey Burke. Projected by many as a Top-10 pick in the upcoming NBA Draft, Burke is lightning quick, drains 3s – including his game-changer against Kansas – and finishes at the rim. The point guard matchup is a dandy.

Advantage: Michigan

Shooting Guard

Brandon Triche has been streaky all season. He has scored 20-plus points seven times, but he has also scored in single figures 10 times. Triche is certainly capable of lighting it up from downtown, but he’s shooting just 29 percent from beyond the arc on the season. His leadership will be key on Saturday. Tim Hardaway Jr. will likely guard Triche. Hardaway, the son of five-time NBA all-star Tim Hardaway, may pose problems for Triche. Both players thrive in big games but are inconsistent. Triche is a better defender and smarter player.

Advantage: Syracuse

Small Forward

Syracuse’s downtown specialist James Southerland hit 83 3s on the season while shooting 40.3 percent from beyond the arc. Against Michigan, though, Southerland won’t only be counted on to shoot. He’ll play a key role in Syracuse’s matchup zone and will have the daunting task of closing out on Nik Stauskas, one of the premier shooters in the country. Stauskas, a Canadian sniper who’s shooting 45 percent from 3 and 85 percent at the line, doesn’t miss often when he has space. Southerland and Stauskas are two of the smoothest shooters in the game. Either one could dominate on Saturday, but Southerland gets the slight edge for his rebounding and defense.

Advantage: Syracuse

Power Forward

C.J. Fair has been Syracuse’s rock all season. Guards Michael Carter-Williams and Brandon Triche have had peaks and valleys, but Fair has been consistent throughout. Fair scored in double digits in 27 of Syracuse’s last 29 games. He relies on his mid-range jumper and attacking the basket. Glenn Robinson III, a former five-star recruit, has shown flashes of greatness so far in the NCAA Tournament after a topsy-turvy regular season, averaging 13.5 points and 6.3 rebounds per game. He has the shooting and driving ability to bust Syracuse’s zone, but he may not have the experience to do so.

Advantage: Syracuse

Center

Rakeem Christmas starts for Syracuse, but Baye Moussa Keita gets the bulk of the minutes for the Orange. Keita has played the best basketball of his career lately. Everything has started to click for the 6-foot-10 Senegal-born Keita, who sputtered through most of the season. He carried Syracuse in the Big East tournament semifinals against Georgetown and in the third round of the NCAA Tournament against California. But Keita will be up against Mitch McGary, one of the best centers in college basketball. McGary didn’t start for Michigan at the beginning of the season and played minimal minutes. But he has been one of the best players in the tournament so far, scoring 17.5 points per game.

Advantage: Michigan

Bench

Baye Moussa Keita, Jerami Grant and Trevor Cooney come off the bench for Syracuse. Cooney has scored in just one of the Orange’s last five games – a seven-point performance against Montana. But he’s capable of lighting it up from downtown. Grant’s best game of the season came against his brother Jerian and Notre Dame on Feb. 4. He hasn’t scored in double figures since then, but he can produce inside when called upon. Scrappy point guard Spike Albrecht gets minutes off the bench for the Wolverines, and Jon Horford and Jordan Morgan split time at forward. Both teams rely heavily on their starters, but Keita, who plays starters’ minutes, gives Syracuse the slight edge off the bench.

Advantage: Syracuse 

-Compiled by Trevor Hass, asst. copy editor, [email protected], @TrevorHass