Final Four

On the block: Louisville vs. Wichita State

Point Guard

Malcolm Armstead has been Wichita State’s engine throughout its Cinderella run. With the rare ability to drive and finish with both hands, the undersized Armstead has given the Shockers a boost on both ends of the floor. In WSU’s Elite Eight win over Ohio State, Armstead paced the team with 14 points, seven rebounds, three assists and three steals. But if there’s any player who can neutralize a hot guard, it’s Louisville’s Peyton Siva. The point guard is the catalyst of Louisville’s up-tempo offense, creating fast-break opportunities with his play on the defensive end. He helped hold Duke guard Rasheed Sulaimon to just 3 points on 1-of-10 shooting in the Cardinals’ win over Duke in the Elite Eight. Though Siva is known for distributing to his teammates, he chipped in 16 points against Blue Devils. On this stage, Siva is more complete and experienced.

Advantage: Louisville

Shooting Guard

Tekele Cotton is an adequate ball handler, and his shooting ability makes him a reliable wing target for the Shockers. He is also an integral part of Wichita State’s man-to-man defense that’s held opponents to a 34.3 field-goal percentage in four tournament games. Opposing Cotton will be UofL scoring machine Russ Smith. Since the start of the Big East tournament, Smith has been virtually unstoppable. In four NCAA Tournament games, the guard is averaging 26 points per contest while shooting 54 percent from the field, including a 23-point performance against Duke in the Elite Eight. The Shockers close out well against outside threats, but Smith has shown the ability to score in all kinds of ways. At this point in the tournament, there isn’t a shooting guard that can match the play of Louisville’s go-to option.

Advantage: Louisville

Small Forward

When Wichita State has needed a big play, Ron Baker has delivered. Baker has made 6 of his 10 3-point attempts in the Shockers’ last three games and shot a perfect 9-of-9 from the free-throw line against Ohio State in the Elite Eight. He is the third guard in the Shockers’ small lineup and could have trouble with a bigger matchup. Wayne Blackshear is Louisville’s 6-foot-5 wing who Baker could be responsible for covering. A solid defensive player, Blackshear has been an efficient scorer for the Cardinals in the tournament, shooting 50 percent from the field on 18 shots. Though he occasionally gets lost in Louisville’s transition, he becomes a viable outside option in the half court. While Baker is more likely to deliver down the stretch, Blackshear’s steady output outweighs Baker’s clutch factor.

Advantage: Louisville

Power Forward

With his length, skill and shooting touch, Cleanthony Early poses the greatest threat to Louisville. A 6-foot-8 forward, Early knocked down four 3s against Gonzaga in the third round and two more against Ohio State in the Elite Eight. He is also a consistent rebounder, with seven rebounds each tournament game, and a capable shot blocker. Chane Behanan excels in transition and is extremely reliable around the rim. His hustle on the defensive end creates turnovers that spur Louisville’s fast break. At 6 feet 6 inches, he will need to rely on his bulk and physicality to successfully guard either member of the Shockers’ front court. But that likely won’t be enough to slow Early down.

Advantage: Wichita State

Center

Wichita State’s Carl Hall has a dangerous blend of tenacity and skill. He scored 16 points and pulled down eight rebounds in the Shockers’ Sweet 16 win over La Salle, and he averages three blocks per game in the tournament. Though Hall has exploited defenses with his inside touch, his biggest strength is protecting the rim on the other end of the floor. Gorgui Dieng is similarly complete, averaging 11 points, 7.5 rebounds and 2.5 blocks in four tournament games. Dieng has also been an incredibly efficient scorer, making 20 of his 24 attempts from the field in the tourney, good for 83 percent. This will be a gritty contest, but Dieng’s size advantage and ability to stretch the floor gives him a slight edge over Hall.

Advantage: Louisville

Bench

Fred VanVleet is the Shockers’ most consistent producer off the bench. He has averaged 8.25 points per game in the tournament while shooting 44 percent from downtown. VanVleet can split the defense, drive to the basket and pull up from outside. Demetric Williams and Ehimen Orukpe also see minimal minutes off the bench for Wichita State. Louisville’s Luke Hancock drains 3-pointers, Montrezl Harrell is a monster on the boards and Stephan Van Treese plays solid defense for the Cardinals. Even with Kevin Ware’s horrific leg injury on Sunday, Louisville still holds the considerable advantage.

Advantage: Louisville

–Compiled by Jesse Dougherty, staff writer, [email protected]