Pop Culture

O’Hare: Return of ‘Whose Line is it Anyway?’ to regular programming rightfully includes original cast

The CW Television Network recently announced “Whose Line is it Anyway?” is returning to regular programming on July 16.

The best improvisational comedy show is returning, along with its original cast members: Ryan Stiles, Colin Mochrie and Wayne Brady.

This isn’t going to be a lackluster remake under the guise of the same name. Some networks have made the mistake of trying to modernize successful old shows like “American Gladiators” and “Knight Rider,” but failed miserably.

All this approach does is let down the original fans with a poor imitation of the show they loved. It also alienates potential new fans who become disenchanted with the show entirely due to the terribly remade version.

Though I’m sure there are up-and-coming comedians who would be enjoyable in the “Whose Line?” format, the show is inextricably linked with Stiles, Mochrie and Brady. The CW could do a remake of the show with the same games and different actors and it could even be a success, but it wouldn’t truly be “Whose Line is it Anyway?”

With the return of these beloved improv masters, we can rest assured we’re simply getting new episodes of the same show.

The only difference is that host Drew Carey, who has since succeeded Bob Barker on “The Price is Right,” is being replaced by Aisha Tyler, which, honestly, is an upgrade.

True, Carey was easy to make fun of and, to his credit, was always a good sport. Some of the best jokes from the old show were when the cast teased him about his weight or his trademark glasses.

Some of the show’s most memorable moments include when a cast member would cause Carey to laugh so uncontrollably, he would almost fall out of his desk chair. His cackle was as much a part of the show as Stiles’ saddle shoes and Mochrie’s Hawaiian shirts.

Carey will no doubt be missed, but Tyler is an outstanding comedian in her own right. In addition to a successful stand-up career, Tyler has guest-starred as Charlie on “Friends,” had a recurring role in “Talk Soup” — precursor to E!’s “The Soup” — and currently voices Lana Kane on FX’s “Archer.” Unlike Carey, in the joke-firing range that is “Whose Line?”, she won’t be the target, she’ll be one of the guns.

In addition to the three regulars, the new season will stay true to form with a rotating fourth cast member. Stephen Colbert and Robin Williams made appearances on the old show, but the role was usually filled by Greg Proops, Brad Sherwood or Chip Esten.

Given their hilarity during the show’s first run, there is no question these three should be given the opportunity to return. But this also supplies some flexibility and potential to showcase new comedians on the rise in their careers — like Colbert at the time he starred — or for a welcome surprise from an established comedy legend, like Williams.

I cannot wait to see games like “Scenes from a Hat,” “Props” and “Party Quirks” again. But seeing the games isn’t quite enough — it’s who’s playing the game that matters.

There’s no guarantee the revival will be a success, but in bringing back the original cast, the CW is already off to a good start. Everything’s made up and the points don’t matter, but the people receiving them on the show sure as hell do.

James O’Hare is a senior history and political science major. He column appears weekly. He loves cheeseburgers. He can be reached at [email protected].