Women's Lacrosse

Murray shouldering even more of scoring burden in Tumolo’s absence

Instead of the instructions coming from somewhere in front of her, usually from her right side, the advice Alyssa Murray received came from the sideline.

With Michelle Tumolo out for the remainder of the season with a torn left ACL, Tumolo has gone from a leader on the field to assuming a de facto assistant coaching role. Her bond with Murray remains the same — but different.

On Friday against Notre Dame, Tumolo and Murray talked on the sideline. It was the first game since Tumolo tore her ACL. In her first game out of the lineup, Tumolo told Murray a specific cutting lane and shot angle she could exploit. Murray scored three of the team’s first four goals and assisted on the other.

“Coming into the game, I was really focused and just really wanted to come out and get a good start,” Murray said. “I didn’t necessarily know I was going to get all those shots.”

Murray and the Orange (12-3, 6-0 Big East) will face Loyola (Md.) (9-6, 5-1) and Georgetown (11-3, 5-1) this weekend. SU plays Loyola at 7 p.m. on Friday and the Hoyas at 1 p.m. on Sunday.

Murray must continue being the scoring threat she has been her entire career, with defenses now focused on her even more. In the three games without Tumolo in the lineup this year, Murray has eight goals and seven assists.

“She’s definitely taken over as the leader and director of the offense,” SU head coach Gary Gait said. “She’ll direct it and make sure we’re all on the same page and make sure there’s focus and execution out there.”

No player in the country had more points or goals last season than Murray. Her 105 points bested Maryland’s Tewaaraton Award winner Katie Schwarzmann by 11, and her 74 goals eclipsed Schwarzmann’s total by two.

This season, Murray’s 70 points lead the team.

“She has a way about herself on the field,” said Colleen Kilgus, who coached Murray at West Babylon (N.Y.) High School. “My first time seeing her play, I knew that she was going to go far with lacrosse as she is an extremely talented player. Alyssa really knew how to work the crease from the left side.”

Murray now has the chance to prove she can lead without Tumolo on the field.

“I think Alyssa Murray has one of the best analytical minds and visions of the field,” SU attack Bridget Daley said. “I literally trust her with my life when it comes to the offense.”

Murray said she doesn’t see her role changing that much. All of SU’s players must step their games up and reach their potentials.

“I think that all over the field, we’re not trying to replace what Michelle brought to the field because that’s a difficult thing to do,” Murray said. “ … But I think everyone else is just trying to pick up their own leadership and pick up what they think the team needs.”

Daley said now is when the real test comes and the team finds out where it is come tournament time. It’ll be the player she said she’s trusted with her life who leads the way.

Said Gait: “She’s a very focused individual that’s driven, and she’ll do a great job.”