Final Four

Michigan successfully cracks Syracuse zone in 1st half

Nate Shron | Staff Photographer

Michigan shooting guard Tim Hardaway, Jr., shoves Syracuse point guard Michael Carter-Williams aside on a drive to the basket.

ATLANTA — The defense that stifled four previous teams in the NCAA Tournament wasn’t there. Michigan became the first team to adequately crack Syracuse’s 2-3 zone, working the ball inside, then back out to the arc for open shots and critical 3-pointers.

The Orange’s slow start on defense was uncharacteristic for a team that pummeled its way through the tournament with its zone. But against the Wolverines in the Final Four, one win away from the national championship, Syracuse’s intensity on defense lessened.

“I think our energy was a little bit low,” SU guard Brandon Triche said. “We needed to be more active and we weren’t. I think that was the biggest thing.”

Michigan shot 44.8 percent in the first half, and went 35.3 percent from the perimeter in that stretch. The Wolverines broke through Syracuse’s zone and nailed big shots that resulted from ample open looks. By the time the Orange’s defense returned to form it was too late. Its slow start defensively gave Michigan enough of a chance to pull out the 61-56 win over Syracuse on Saturday night in the Georgia Dome to advance to the national championship.

The Orange’s zone is stifling not only for its incredible length, but also because of how the players move within the zone. They quickly anticipate where passes are going to go, and immediately get their hands into the passing lanes to get steals or force turnovers.

But the Wolverines committed only 10 in the entire game, and a remarkable two in the first half. Michigan managed to do what every other one of Syracuse’s opponents hadn’t in the tournament.

In the Elite Eight, Marquette committed 14 turnovers. Indiana made 19 in the Sweet 16. Michigan point guard Trey Burke said Syracuse is “magnificent” in the zone, and said it was tough to get the ball into the middle. Regardless, the Wolverines took care of the ball, and that was a major difference in the game.

“They pride themselves on deflection. We just tried to be as careful as possible,” Burke said. “We know they strive off of turnovers. They do a good job of turning turnovers into touchdowns.”

Syracuse made defensive adjustments coming out of halftime. Perhaps its most significant change was that it left Michigan big man Mitch McGary open in the high post to let him take jumpers. That let the Orange defend on the arc to take away his passing options.

In the first half, McGary was 2-of-3, but in the second, he was only 2-of-5. Syracuse allowed him to hit a couple if it meant taking away any open 3-pointers.

As a team, Michigan also struggled in the second half. The Wolverines shot only 33.3 percent from the field, and 28.6 percent from the arc.

Syracuse’s lack of defensive activity in the first half, though, allowed Michigan to build an 11-point lead. By the time the Orange’s zone defense looked like the same one that had tormented opponents through the tournament, it was too late.

With SU’s offense struggling, the slow start defensively hurt the Orange badly.

Said forward James Southerland: “We just got off to a slow start.”