ESF

ESF affiliates with study abroad program, allowing students to learn about marine science on a ship

Erick Friely | Contributing Illustrator

Darcy Balcarce sailed through squalls, navigated by the stars and received credit toward her degree for it.

The State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry is now affiliated with SEA Semester, a study abroad program that allows students to learn about various environmental topics including oceanography, marine policy and climate while living on one of two 127-foot sailing vessels. The first six weeks of the program take place on land in Woods Hole, Mass.

“It was a life-changing experience,” said Balcarce, a senior environmental science major. “I was on the SU sailing team, but this was totally different.”

The affiliation, which ESF communications announced on March 28, makes it easier for students to transfer their financial aid toward SEA Semester, said Emily Quackenbush, coordinator of International Education at ESF. It also makes it easier for students to transfer credits they earn while participating in the program, and waives the admission fee for ESF students.

In addition, Kim Schulz, the ESF faculty contact for SEA Semester, is currently working on establishing an official marine science minor at ESF that students can fulfill either at ESF or by enrolling in a SEA Semester course.

She said having hands-on, day-to-day experiences with marine science research as a participant in SEA Semester is one of the best ways for students to decide if they want to pursue a career in marine science.

Balcarce said the program helped her decide to pursue a minor in marine policy.

She is currently working on her senior capstone project, which is a continuation of a research project she started while on the SEA Semester program called Oceans and Climate Cycles. Her research focuses on how a chemical produced by plankton can affect climate change.

Schulz said every student who participates in SEA Semester has to come up with an idea for a research project. The ideas help determine where the ships will sail.

“Each cruise is a little bit different,” she said.

One of the ships is based in the Atlantic Ocean and one is based in the Pacific, Schulz said. Both are equipped with modern labs that students can use for their research projects, she added.

The labs are also used to conduct continuous projects that involve everyone in the program, Schulz said.

In one of the most notable projects, students have been monitoring plastics in the ocean for more than 30 years, Schulz said.

Although the program originated with only oceanography courses, it has since expanded to include many other academic areas such as history and cultural studies, Schulz said. For example, one course available is “Sustainability in Polynesian Island Cultures and Ecosystems,” which allows students to learn about environmental policy.

“Almost any student’s interest can be met with this program,” Schulz said.

Through SEA Semester, students can receive up to 17 credit hours of science courses, Schulz said, and she is currently working on getting more history and cultural courses to count toward majors at ESF with fewer science requirements.

Approximately seven to 10 students from ESF have participated in the program in the past eight years, Schultz said. This number will likely increase once more students learn about the benefits of the affiliation, she added.

Quackenbush, the international education coordinator at ESF, said the program can be a valuable resource for students.

Said Quackenbush: “I think it’s a great opportunity for practical hands-on learning, which is very valuable later when interviewing when you can recall those experiences and what you’ve learned.”