The Daily Orange

Duck: Laurence Leveille

Asst. Copy Editor | Fall 2010-Spring 2011; Copy Chief | Fall 2011-Spring 2012; Managing Editor | Fall 2012-Spring 2013

Micah Benson | Art Director

I was that overly eager freshman who emailed the news editor for a story during the summer. But I never wrote again that first semester.

Then I threw myself in, starting with the Student Association beat and working myself up to where I am today. The Daily Orange is what kept me at Syracuse University.

Now, it’s been three years. Three years of 3 a.m. nights, of love, of dedication, of frustration. Three years surrounded by wonderful people who I’ve had the chance to learn with, teach and watch grow alongside me.

It’s now my turn to say goodbye. And it’s hard to grasp. It’s bittersweet. But I’m thankful for every opportunity The D.O. has given me.

Mom and dad: Thank you for all your support. Not just now, but throughout the last 22 years and beyond. You’ve helped me become who I am today more than you can imagine, and I’m incredibly thankful for all you’ve done for me. I know me working at The D.O. wasn’t your favorite, but you understood, you listened to my rants and encouraged me. I love you both.

Juju, Zak and Lyds: Juju and Zak, you’ve both grown up so much – it’s still weird – and I’m proud to be your sister. Lyds, I’m so happy you came into our lives. You’re a part of the reason I’m coming back to the East Coast. Don’t grow up too fast.

Joshua: There isn’t a day that goes by when you’re not in my thoughts. I’ll always be there with and for you, and I wholeheartedly support you in everything you do. Thank you for all of your care and support, for holding me up when I’m feeling down, for listening when I need someone to talk to. I miss you and care for you dearly. Can’t wait to be near you again.

Kathleen: You’re the reason I joined The D.O. It started with an email looking for an SA beat reporter, then evolved into a position. I didn’t reach out enough this year, but I want you to know you were in my thoughts every day.

Mark: You’ve made sacrifices for the sake of this paper on several occasions, and I admire your dedication. I hope that dedication follows you throughout your career. Also, you need to go to the zoo before graduation.

Dara: When we were staff writers, I always wanted to know who “Dara McBride” was. Her byline was the one I noticed most. She turned out to be one of the strongest reporters I know and someone I look up to. It’s been a pleasure to grow at The D.O. with you. Also: Danny Fersh. Enough said.

Meghin: I don’t say it enough: You mean a lot to me. I’m sorry I haven’t been around much this semester. It’s been a semester now, but walking into an empty apartment at 4 a.m. is still freaky.

Jon: I always felt bad when people dubbed you “the prodigy” — it’s a lot of pressure. Good luck with the business section at the Binghamton Bulletin and Sun. I’m going to miss your grilled cheese.

Debbie: What a semester to be on the SA beat. I envy you for that. You’re a strong, talented reporter and have a lot to offer. I hope you continue writing next semester and pass on your knowledge to the new staff. Enjoy your summer and senior year!

Bre: A year later, a part of me still feels like I belong on the porch. It always made me happy when you visited me. Those are some of the moments I miss the most. I’m sorry I missed you while you were visiting.

Bouv: I’ll never forget the ghost hunter event we went to. That was probably the first and last university event I ever went to in the last few years.

Maddy: I’m glad to see you take over the position, and I know you and Casey will do great things in management together. Even though I’m not physically there, don’t forget I’ll always be around if you need someone to talk to.

Marwa: I hope having more free time will give you a chance to write as much as you’d like. You’re a talented writer and bring a lot to this paper.

Casey: You’re strong-willed, independent and have the skills you need to be EIC. I can’t wait to see what you bring to the paper as a whole. It’s been an honor to watch you grow in the last two semesters. If you need anyone, I’ll be around.

Meredith: You took the initiative last semester when News lost an editor. Use that same initiative as news editor. Be proactive and take advantage of the ample time you have to plan.

Jess and Nicki: It’s sad to see you go, but you have both contributed so much to the news section. Nicki, I hope your bylines keep appearing in the paper. Jess, have a great time abroad!

Dylan: I’ve watched you grow each semester and can’t wait to see what more you have to offer. Don’t forget to think of stories from the readers’ perspective. What might not seem like a story to you might be something relevant to them.
Brendan: I’ve considered you the dark horse of The D.O. because you’d never written for us before you were hired. Enjoy your time abroad.

Beckie: You’re the one who planted the seed in my head to move up to management. I’m glad you did. I miss sitting next to you on the porch and giving each other pep talks when we were stressed. Even though I laughed at Sports’ jokes, I was always on your side! I hope all is well in Lebanon.

Rachael: I appreciate all of your help throughout the semester. You’ve thanked me endless times, and the same goes to you. I’m going to miss the class cartoons you draw.

Chelsea: What were you good at? Immersing yourself and going beyond your comfort zone. You’re also good at bouncing back from tough situations, and I admire your perseverance. Thank you for trusting me.

Kristin: As you step up to the plate to lead the feature section, I have no doubt you’ll strengthen the Pulp identity. I look forward to seeing the section evolve.

Joe: You’re a skilled writer and a strong asset to the section. Teach those skills to the staff writers as you edit with them. I appreciate what you’ve brought to the paper.

Avery: Every time my sister watches “My Little Ponies,” I think of you and the ponies in the feature office. I hope you stay involved with the paper next semester.

Erik: It makes me happy to see you at the house. Your dedication and love for this place shows through. Thank you for always being ready to lend a hand.

Evan and Boomer: Both of you have been missed since last semester. Evan, I hope all goes well after graduation. Boomer, it’d be great to see you involved again.

Colleen: The first year we worked in house together, we used to have heart-to-hearts on occasion. To this day, I still remember them. I hope you’ve been doing well. You’ve been missed.

Iseman: When we first started working here, we were both quiet and holed up in our respective offices. I’ve enjoyed getting to know you and trying to survive classes together. Moral support for the win. Thanks for driving me home when you stuck around.

Ryne: Though you’re generally very quiet, you have come out of your shell this year. Tell Chris I say hi.

Klinger and Wilson: Both of you have the chance to continue strengthening the sports section and push for more innovation. Don’t be afraid to sit with writers, critique them and edit thoroughly. They’ll appreciate it.

Phil and Trevor: You two have grown throughout this semester. Keep pushing yourselves. Now that you’re going into your second semester, go beyond what you’re expected to do.

Micah: Cosmos’ chili cheese fries — you’re welcome. It’s been a pleasure working with you for the last year, and it’s sad to see you go. Good luck after graduation!

Becca: I wasn’t expecting the deer reference to stick around for so long, but it lasted all the way through. I still have the Bambi photo somewhere. You’re a wonderful person. If I ever need advice, I know I can go to you about anything. You’ve helped me out time and time again. I hope I can do the same for you.

Ankur: Few people stay here for as long as we have. Six semesters are filled with too many memories. Many times, you’ve egged me on to slap you at parties, suffered through PSC 300 and shared the Chautauqua experience. Keep the institutional memory alive.

Lizzie: You’re the daughter I never had. I’ve loved spending time with you — Dixie Chicks hour and chasing sirens at 3 a.m. You were worried about next semester, but this is your chance to take the lead and inspire a whole new crew. I have faith in you.

Cheryl: 2013 New York City roomies — it’s happening! Except when we’re roommates, you’re not allowed to ditch me in the middle of beer pong. I’m really glad we met each other this year. It’s been great hearing your stories.

Beth: With you gone, The D.O. will be losing a strong voice and presence, but I know you’ll do great things in the future.

Michelle: I didn’t get to know you very well, so when you told me stories about your family and expressed your passionate hate for Michigan, I really enjoyed hearing what you had to say. Good luck next semester.

Chase: With almost two semesters as photo editor under your belt, I have no doubt you’ll continue to do great things with the section and push it along more.

Luke: One, your mother’s cookies are delicious. I’m going to miss them. Two, I’ve never heard you say no. You’re dedicated to not only The D.O., but to everything you do. It’s admirable. I know multimedia will only keep improving under you.

Sam: The first time I met you was at the University Senate meeting in September. The first thing you asked was how you could work at the paper. Your passion has been evident since that day. Keep up the work and push yourself to strive more.

Lauren: You were here during a tumultuous time in the photo department, but you stuck through it all. That takes strength and perseverance, and I’m glad you stayed around. I hope you’ve been doing well and enjoy your senior year!

Allen Chiu: It was pretty qual working with you. You’re one of the most talented people I know. Don’t be afraid to experiment and try new things.

Allie: You’re one of the most passionate sports fans I’ve met. Something I’ve admired about you since you first became a designer was your drive and initiative. Don’t lose that. It’s part of what makes you who you are.

Chris Voll: You’re a quiet person, but filled with an endless supply of ideas. I appreciate everything you’ve done for us and look forward to what the future entails.

Danielle: You’ve continued pushing social media forward throughout the semester. Thanks for handling the Facebook page.

Mike: My goal this year was to call you as little as possible about obvious issues with the computers. I hope we didn’t drive you too crazy.

Professor Grimes: The day I met you, you reaffirmed that I was headed in the right direction. I haven’t visited you often in the last four years, but you’ve inspired me. I look up to you and keep your advice in mind every day.

Prof. Emilie: Thank you for having faith in me and helping me with the internship process.

Calum: I’m glad we stayed in touch all of this time. You’re one of the few people I still hang out with every time I come home. I appreciate how protective you are of me and Acacia – it shows you care.

Donovan: It’s funny how one little change in someone’s day affects a huge part of his or her life. I used to call you on my walks home from The D.O. every night, but then I got rides every night. We’ve lost touch this year, but I want you to know I still care a lot about you. We need to hang out more.

Laura: I still find it amusing that you’ll be going to Pennsylvania when I go to Texas. Of course that would happen, right? We’ve had our ups and downs, but you’ve always been there for me. I hope you know how much I appreciate that. I’m looking forward to seeing you in August!

Acacia: When we were about to graduate high school, we were terrified we would lose touch. And despite your trips Costa Rica and my infrequent visits, we pulled through. You’ll always be my best friend, no matter what gets in the way. I want you to know that it brings me joy to see you so happy lately. I’ve missed you a lot, and I’m excited to see each other more again — even if we’re just taking naps.

Fall 2013 staff: Take advantage of everything offered to you at The D.O. Don’t be afraid to go beyond your comfort zones and try something new. This is your paper. Make it the best it can be and strive to push yourselves. This is a hands-on experience you’ll get nowhere else.