Documentary to reveal horrors of human trafficking

Although many Syracuse University students might think human trafficking only happens in other countries, it is still a problem in the United States.

To raise awareness about this issue, Forsaken Generation, an organization dedicated to preventing child sex and labor trafficking, will host a screening of the film “Not My Life,” followed by a Q-and-A session, on April 18 at 7 p.m. in the Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium.

“Not My Life,” directed by the Oscar-nominated Robert Bilheimer, documents the horrors of human trafficking and forced labor on five different continents, according to the film’s website.

“One of the things we like about this particular film is that it talks about (human trafficking) from a domestic standpoint, as well as an international standpoint,” said Sean Wrench, founder and executive director of Forsaken Generation. “It is happening right here in our own backyard.”

Very few people realize human trafficking occurs in Central New York, Wrench said. He hopes the screening of “Not My Life” will raise awareness and inspire students to do something, he said.

One of the organization’s strengths is its ability to engage people in the local communities and give them ways to get involved, said Jessie Gwilt, an intern for Forsaken Generation.

Gwilt said she hopes the screening will encourage people to recognize the severity of human trafficking and take action.

“I think it’s really important for people to attend the screening because it is a really eye-opening film that speaks about an issue many people don’t realize exists,” she said.

Wrench said the screening is especially relevant at this moment because it coincides with the recent introduction of new legislation that would enforce stricter punishment for human traffickers. The Trafficking Victims Protection and Justice Act was passed by the New York State Senate on March 6 and is now being presented to the Assembly.

“Right now, in New York state, it is only a misdemeanor to purchase sex with a child,” Wrench said. “This bill, if passed, will put these traffickers away for a much longer amount of time. It will change the laws so that men who are purchasing sex with children will get more than a misdemeanor.”

The film depicts the cruel and dehumanizing practices of human trafficking and modern slavery in great detail, he said.

When students watch this film, Wrench said, he hopes they will be horrified by the idea of human trafficking.

Sophomore public relations major Sarah Richheimer plans to attend the screening, and said she was shocked to learn human trafficking occurs in the United States.

“I had always thought of it as something that mainly happened in other countries. It is horrifying to think that it happens right here in New York,” she said.

Dan Grove, a sophomore television, radio and film major, said he hopes the film will bring greater attention to the horrible and prevalent issue of human trafficking.

Said Grove: “If ever there was an act to demonstrate how much of a scumbag one can be, that act would be the forced labor or sexual slavery of other human beings.”