Who is Syracuse?

Chantel Morel: Latino student works toward diversity, acts as role model through involvement in campus organizations

Allen Chiu | Staff Photographer

Busy. That’s the word Patricia Alvarez unhesitatingly uses to describe her best friend, Chantel Morel.

And when it comes to Morel, a junior English and textual studies major and information management and technology minor, “busy” might be an understatement.

President of her sorority, Sigma Lambda Upsilon. Active member of La L.U.C.H.A., a group that works toward educating others about Latino culture. Editor in chief of La Voz, the only Latino publication on campus. Former community service chair of the National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations. Member of Syracuse University Literacy Corps.

“Everyone thinks I’m crazy for this, but I’m addicted to being busy,” Morel said. “I’m the type of person who says yes to everything. A lot of people ask me to help out, and I love being involved, but I know my limits.”

Morel makes a long-distance relationship work, despite her packed schedule. She loves to dance — friends describe her as always dancing. She cooks a big family dinner once a week to ensure she spends time with friends. Morel said that when it comes to keeping her schedule full, her Latino heritage plays an important role.

“There aren’t a lot of Latinos here, and that made me want to be a leader on campus,” Morel said. “I feel like I could be a role model to Latinos from my neighborhood, from Harlem. I came from there, but I made it here to a prestigious university.”

Morel first joined her sorority in spring 2011. Established on March 28, 1992, on SU’s campus, the Eta chapter of Sigma Lambda Upsilon is a small one. It was founded by six women, and only two members were on campus the fall after Morel became a sister.

But that hasn’t stopped Sigma Lambda Upsilon from participating in events in the community and focusing on the chapter’s philanthropy: literacy.

“Sororities in the Latino community are not like regular sororities,” said Morel’s friend Alvarez, a junior English and textual studies major. “They have five (people) and they still make things happen.”

Morel has served as social chair and community service chair for the chapter, and as current president, has made a difference in the sorority, said Lauri Rosario, treasurer of Sigma Lambda Upsilon.

“I can sincerely say that if she wasn’t here, I don’t know what we’d do,” Rosario said.

But as much as Morel has contributed to her sorority, her sorority has changed Morel for the better, Alvarez said.

Alvarez first met Morel during the fall of their freshman year at a small party at a friend’s house. They were typical freshmen, Alvarez said, going out at night, hoping to experience what college was all about.

But in the spring, Morel began pledging Sigma Lambda Upsilon. Alvarez said it was a very different process from pledging for a Panhellenic sorority or fraternity.

“I didn’t get to see her for a whole semester because Latino process is very different, they’re very closed. You don’t see them for a whole semester,” Alvarez said. “I didn’t get to see her for seven, eight weeks, and when I did, she became a whole different woman for the better.”

Angel Arroyo can attest to the change in Morel during her time at SU.

Arroyo, a senior psychology major on the pre-med track, is the president of the National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations and worked with Morel when she was community service chair for the organization. Morel and Arroyo met two years ago at a breast cancer walk in downtown Syracuse. They later began working together for national association, and it was there they got to know each other.

“Her work ethic was just amazing,” he said. “She came on very strong, she was the youngest person on the board and she helped conduct the biggest community service event we’ve ever done.”

As community service chair for the National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations, Morel initiated the idea of a school supplies drive for the Syracuse City School District. She described the project as her baby. During the course of a year, she reached out to stores like Target and Walmart to ask for donations.

This past fall, though she was no longer on the board for the National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations, Morel helped distribute more than 300 backpacks to students at Fowler High School. The principal of Fowler asked her to speak to the students, which she described as a humbling experience.

“Looking out at all those book bags and being able to give them to the kids in need … you can’t be able to learn and go to school if you don’t even have a pencil or a notebook,” Morel said.

It is contributions like this and much more, Alvarez said, that make Morel a role model for other Latino women. Though she is involved on campus and particularly in the Latino community, her devotion to those around her is what sets her apart.

“She’s the most generous, selfless person I’ve ever met,” said Rosario, treasurer for Sigma Lambda Upsilon. “She literally will take the clothes off her back and give them to someone else.”