Women's Lacrosse

Staff: Syracuse falls to Northwestern in national championship rematch

Syracuse’s plot for revenge in the championship-game rematch against Northwestern fell short in Saturday’s 13-12 lost at Lakeside Field in Evanston, Ill. The No. 4 Wildcats (9-1, 3-0 American Lacrosse Conference) snapped the No. 6 Orange’s (5-3, 1-0 Big East) three-game winning streak.

Tied for the eighth time, SU found itself tied with NU in the final 10 minutes of regulation.

But Syracuse’s offense ran out of fuel, and the defense became too overzealous as the Wildcats bottled up Michelle Tumolo as last year’s Tewaaraton Award finalist failed to register a point and finished with two turnovers.

Syracuse started off red hot, scoring four of the first five goals of the game. Katie Webster netted SU’s first two goals, scoring 63 seconds into the game and adding another unassisted tally three minutes later.

But Northwestern battled back. Ali Cassera sparked a 4-0 run and helped the Wildcats take their first lead of the game at 9:52 in the first half. The Orange responded as Alyssa Murray helped string together another run to put Syracuse ahead 7-5 at the half.

Out of the half Northwestern came out and evened the score, but Murray netted two more goals to put the Orange up two and shift the momentum.

Four fouls in the stretch of five minutes, however, allowed Northwestern to get right back in the game and ultimately knock off the Orange.

After Syracuse dominated draw controls in the first half — winning 11-of-13 — NU evened things out in the second half winning half of its 14 attempts.

Though SU limited its turnovers to five in the second half it wasn’t enough to pull off the upset.

The Orange returns to Big East play on Friday, to continue its four-game road trip. SU will travel to Villanova on Friday and Rutgers on Sunday.

-compiled by Melissa Bronson-Tramel, staff writer, [email protected]