clicker

Short Changed: CBS’s show ‘2 Broke Girls’ does well with ratings, fails to connect with all of television critics

It’s funny how we tend to get caught up in the characters and plot drama of television and forget the people who actually bring these characters to life.

For instance, we’ve all heard of Sarah Jessica Parker and Cynthia Nixon from “Sex and the City,” and Eric McCormack and Debra Messing from “Will and Grace.”

But does the name Michael Patrick King ring a bell?

The executive producer of “Sex and the City” and writer for “Will and Grace,” King helped create these shows’ reputations for being quick-witted and hilariously sassy. Fortunately for viewers, King has teamed with comedian and actress Whitney Cummings to create the sitcom, “2 Broke Girls.”

“2 Broke Girls” is a relatively new show that follows the daily adventures of Max and Caroline, who are — you guessed it — two broke girls. The sitcom is filmed at Warner Bros. Studios, but is owned by CBS. The network successfully defeated others in a nasty bidding war for the highly demanded show.

It has done extremely well for CBS in its first one and a half seasons, as the show ranks in the top 15 among viewers ages 18-49 — the key demographic for advertisers — and within the top 25 for total number of viewers. “2 Broke Girls”has also received support from various big-spending sponsors including AT&T, Verizon, Apple, Toyota, Time Warner and Target.

Max, played by Kat Dennings (the emo girl in “The HouseBunny”) comes from a poor, working-class family. Caroline (Beth Behrs) was born rich but is now broke after her father got caught operating a Bernard Madoff-esque scheme. The two are pushed together by fate. They end up working in the same restaurant and become roommates and best friends.

Max and Caroline’s vastly different upbringings are the subject of much sarcastic and witty banter between the two. Although Max makes countless cuts about Caroline’s old life, she also realizes there is more to Caroline than trust funds and designer clothing. Caroline is able to look past Max’s tough exterior and discover her inner sweetness, especially her aptitude for baking incredible cupcakes.

The two plan to raise enough money to open a cupcake shop. They soon realize, however, that paying outstanding bills, saving money and maintaining healthy friendships and romances at the same time is extremely difficult.

Broadcast in more than 35 countries, “2 Broke Girls”has been nominated for eight awards, and has won both an Emmy and People’s Choice award.

Despite these accomplishments, the show has received mixed reviews, ranging from incredible appraisal to outright hatred. Those who applaud the show appreciate the acting and character chemistry. Other critics, such as Emily Nussbaum of The New Yorker and Glenn Garvin of The Miami Herald, argue the show is absurdly offensive and profits from uncomfortable racist and sexual jokes.

Still, one could argue this show is no raunchier than “Two and a HalfMen.” It’s a viewer judgment call. And since “2 Broke Girls” is only in its second season, Spring Break provides a perfect opportunity to get caught up and decide which side you’re on.