Women & Gender

Nasa: Film highlights equal rights advances for women, confirms more progress necessary

Kathrine Switzer was determined to finish the Boston Marathon, even if it meant crawling on her hands and knees.

This story is how the audience is introduced to the new PBS documentary, “Makers: Women Who Make America.” The film is about women who have fought for political power, economic opportunity and personal autonomy in the last 50 years. Not only did the documentary address the inequality between women and men in society, it addressed the inequalities between white women, women of color and the lesbian, gay, transgender and bisexual community, as well.

Switzer, a long-distance runner, was a junior at Syracuse University in 1967. She trained with the manager of the men’s track team because the university did not have a women’s team at the time.

Back then, the Boston Marathon was not open to women. Switzer was only able to register for the race by using her first initial and last name. When one official found out a woman was running the race, he chased her, but Switzer ignored him and kept running.

“If I don’t finish this race, then everyone is going to believe women can’t do it,” Switzer recalled saying to herself while running the marathon. But on that day, Switzer proved women are able to run 26 miles and 385 yards.

After finishing the race, Switzer affirmed, “I started the Boston Marathon as a girl and I finished the Boston Marathon as a grown woman.”

Many who participated in the women’s liberation movement were young like Switzer. They knew they did not want to continue living in a society full of blatant discrimination.

Young people, many of who are still in college, helped changed the way an entire country thought about civil rights, and challenged policies that perpetuated inequality for years.

While this film documents how far women have come, the fight for equality is not finished.

About 18 percent of congressional members are women, but when women make up approximately half of the population, this percentage is not enough. It’s now more acceptable for women to pursue careers outside of the home, but they still do not make the same amount of money as men. Women don’t need to get their husbands’ approval to make personal decisions like getting a credit card, but a woman’s right to reproductive autonomy is still constantly under attack.

It is necessary to recognize these inefficiencies to change them.

Switzer recognized the gender-based discriminatory practices of the Boston Marathon and had the determination to run regardless. In 1967, SU did not have a women’s track team, but today, more than 11 athletic programs are available to women.

The persistence of Switzer, Gloria Steinem, Barbara Walters, Oprah Winfrey, Judy Blume and Shirley Chisholm has brought a tremendous amount of inspiration to women. These women have demonstrated that a group of people can voice their concerns and challenge dominant discourses.

Women in 2013 may not be facing the same challenges as women in 1967, but challenges still exist. By not addressing them, we are committing a great disservice to the women who brought us to where we are today.

Rahimon Nasa is a sophomore magazine journalism and international relations major. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter at @rararahima.