pulp

Jukebox the Ghost to perform in Schine Underground with eclectic, energetic sound and style

Indie-rock fans are in for a treat: Jukebox the Ghost is coming to Syracuse University on Tuesday night.

The Philadelphia-born, New York City-based rock trio will perform at 7:30 p.m. in the Schine Underground as the headliner for University Union’s Bandersnatch Music Series.

Jukebox the Ghost was originally formed in 2004 by Ben Thornewill, pianos and vocals; Tommy Siegel, guitar and vocals; and Jesse Kristin, drums. Their current tour marks the debut of their third album, “Safe Travels,” which is based on a period of change in the band’s career, according to their website.

Since the release of the band’s second album, “Everything Under the Sun,” in 2010, it has played more than 200 shows nationwide. The band has appeared on “The Late Show with David Letterman,” performed at Lollapalooza and Bonnaroo music festivals, and opened for bands like Jack’s Mannequin.

Jukebox the Ghost is also known for having some fun beyond the music. The band has a Tumblr page titled “Gumblr,” which devoted to different flavors of gum. The band members take turns taste-testing packs of chewing gum and writing humorous reviews.

Plus, the band is becoming known for its signature ghost mascot. Before each stop on its tour, Jukebox the Ghost posts a photo on its Facebook page of the ghost mascot dressed for the band’s next destination. The ghost has so far worn a Red Sox hat in Boston, dressed as a crab in Baltimore and became a part of the U.S. Capitol for a show in Washington, D.C.

Because of this tradition, UU held a contest on March 6 for students to win free tickets to Tuesday night’s show. Their task was to draw a picture of the ghost for his visit to SU. Chances are, the ghost will look a little orange.

Opening for the band Tuesday is Io Echo, a psychedelic, Asian-inspired indie-rock group that recently performed at the South by Southwest music festival. The band describes its genre as “Japanese Koto harps plus Chinese violins plus pastel romance” on its Facebook page. Io Echo recently curated a festival at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles. The band has also performed alongside groups such as Cults, a former Bandersnatch performer.

Tickets for Tuesday night’s show are available at the Schine Box Office for $5 for students and $8 for the public. For more information, visit UU’s website.