Georgetown’s Porter named Big East Player of the Year

Otto Porter was named the Big East Player of the Year on Tuesday. Big East coaches voted unanimously to give the honors to Porter, and they could not vote for their own players.

During conference play, Porter is second in the Big East with 18.1 points per game. He’s also fifth in rebounding and tied for third with steals with an average of 1.8 per game. In all games, Porter’s averaging  16.4 points per game.

He’s shooting just over 50 percent from the field, and 44 percent from behind the arc.

Porter was a major reason why Georgetown was able to go fro being unranked to being ranked fifth in the Associated Press Top 25 Poll. He also led the Hoyas to a tie for the Big East regular season championship. Georgetown is also a possible No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament, especially if the Hoyas claim the Big East Tournament championship.

Porter’s head coach, John Thompson III, was named the Big East Coach of the Year. Thompson guided Georgetown to a 24-5 record, including a 14-4 record in conference play.

St. John’s forward JaKarr Sampson took the Big East Rookie of the Year award. He’s the second member of the Red Storm to win the award in the last two years, as Moe Harkless won it last season.

Sampson is averaging 14.9 points per game to go along with his 6.6 rebounds per contest.