Editorial

Establishing MOOCs ensures expansion of higher education

Universities have a responsibility to instill knowledge and learning beyond campus perimeters. Providing massive online courses is a progressive way to continue developing and expanding that reach.

Syracuse University opened its first MOOC this semester. “Introduction of Data Science” is a free online course offered through the School of Information Studies.

The course was open to the public and easily filled its 500-student maximum capacity. No credit is given for satisfactorily completing the four-week course. Instead, students will receive a letter of completion signed by iSchool Dean Elizabeth Liddy.

SU should begin developing MOOCs for 100-level content in areas of study from across the university. This would enable more of the public to receive a form of higher education, making SU a stronger competitor against fellow institutions already well-versed in MOOC learning experiences throughout the world.

MOOCs are beneficial for a wide range of people seeking a taste of higher education for several reasons. This learning style lends itself well to high school students looking to get a sample of college classroom content. It also helps alumni stay up to date on the latest developments in various fields.

Those who cannot pursue a degree due to cost or who are uninterested in attending a university can also benefit by having the chance to gain specific, refined knowledge in a field of interest free of charge.

MOOCs do not weaken the value of paying to attend an institution full time, as those enrolled in the courses only receive limited content compared to actual college classrooms, and don’t experience hands-on learning or building relationships with professors. They also do not receive college credit.

Cultivating and establishing more MOOC courses will ensure SU continues developing its commitment to bettering the lives of others through advanced learning.