Broyld, Simmons sidelined for remainder of spring

Ashton Broyld and Donnie Simmons will both miss the remainder of Syracuse’s spring practice with lower body injuries, SU Athletics announced Friday.

Simmons’ injury will require surgery, which will take place “in the near future” according to a release on SUAthletics.com. Broyld’s injury will be evaluated throughout the spring and his status for summer practice will be determined at the beginning of June.

Simmons, a defensive end, played in all 13 games for the Orange last season. But Broyld, despite playing in just eight games a year ago, is perhaps the more concerning injury.

After arriving at Syracuse as a quarterback after a year of prep school before last season, Broyld struggled to learn the playbook and had difficulty staying on the field during the later part of the year. Broyld took a handful of snaps during the Orange’s first practice of the spring, but it appeared to be in more of a “Wildcat” capacity as he didn’t attempt any throws in seven-on-seven drills. He instead figured to factor in prominently in Syracuse’s wide receiver and running back rotations.

Back of the pack

None of the Orange's running backs have crossed the goal line since the season opener. They hope to change that against N.C. State on Saturday. Read more »

The Quiet Corner

Brandon Reddish doesn't say much. He doesn't like to and he doesn't need to. The Syracuse cornerback leads an Orange secondary that's held opponents to 197.6 passing yards per game. Read more »