Women & Gender

Bethel: Public scrutiny concerning Rihanna, Chirs Brown relationship lacks validity

Four years ago, the pop culture world shook when rapper Chris Brown made headlines for beating then-girlfriend, Rihanna. The police report, later leaked to the public, gave vivid details of the attack, which took place while the couple was on the way to the Grammys.

Fast-forward to 2013, and the two are publicly back together again. But the newly reconciled couple isn’t getting the fresh start they had hoped for. The public is not ready to forget Brown’s actions, despite his numerous public apologies and Rihanna’s forgiveness.

But is the relationship between two pop stars really any of our business? With the doubtful feedback following the pair’s announced rejoining, it seems as though the public has wrongfully decided that it is.

A softer side of Rihanna appeared in the March issue of Rolling Stone magazine, in which she opened up and spoke in detail about her relationship with Brown. The artist spoke about the dark place she had been in during the years following the incident.

She went through a period of deep emotional struggle, but said she ultimately could no longer suppress her feelings for Brown. Rihanna stood her ground in the interview, and said she would rather live with her truth than let the backlash of fans get to her.

Well backlash there has been, but Rihanna is staying positive about the two’s relationship. She believes they can withstand the scrutiny, a bold statement given the public’s relentless interest in their personal lives.

But their potential room for progress is being challenged by the outside world. In an episode of “Law and Order: Special Victims Unit” that aired Feb. 27, the program presented their own version of Rihanna and Brown.

The episode featured Caleb Bryant, an artist who beat his girlfriend, Micha. The case was brought to trial and the two ended up getting back together. But the plot takes one dramatic step further by concluding with Caleb killing Micha.

Though based off of the actual assault in 2009, this story goes too far. It solidified the perception the public already has of the famous couple’s relationship: Brown is impulsively violent and Rihanna is weak for accepting an abusive man back into her life. The couple’s interest in moving toward a healthy relationship is constantly being bombarded by public doubt.

This makes it difficult for Brown and Rihanna to privately continue their relationship, as the press constantly hammers them with cynicism. Brown is still struggling to regain the trust of both his and Rihanna’s fans, and his public image remains poor.

Rihanna, however, has recently gained attention because of her openness on the subject. Her interview with Rolling Stone showed she is willing to discuss her relationship with the press.

She said she understands the public’s concern and is glad to know people care for her well-being. While she speaks highly of Brown, she credits his personal growth to the four years he has had to reflect and rebuild.

Though Rihanna’s willingness to stand up for her relationship is honorable, her and Brown’s controversial bond does not resonate well with the public.

Her actions affect not only her fans, but also women everywhere. What she does, whether she intends it, leaves a vast impression on the public.

Rihanna’s interview with Rolling Stone gave her a chance to speak on her own behalf, and while it wasn’t enough to eliminate public doubt, it did expose her willingness to ensure the unhealthy aspects of the couple’s relationship do not continue.

The media have tainted Brown’s image, and rightfully so. He deserves to be reminded of his wrongdoings, but he also deserves to prove himself worthy. The media’s judgments should subside because it has become apparent that not even the public’s skepticism will tear the two apart.

Paris Bethel is a sophomore advertising major. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected].