SU falls out of Peace Corps’ Top 25 Colleges list for first time in three years

For the first time in three years, Syracuse University is no longer on the Peace Corps’ Top 25 Colleges list for medium universities and colleges. SU was in 13th place last year and tied for 11th place in 2011.

The list ranks various universities and colleges across the country by the number of volunteers they have sent to the Peace Corps. The rankings are issued by the national office in Washington, D.C. In 2010, 36 SU alumni volunteered and in 2011, 34 students volunteered, according to the Peace Corps’ website.

Last year, only 20 SU alumni enrolled in the Peace Corps, just two shy of the number needed to rank in the top colleges list, said Elizabeth Chamberlain, a spokeswoman for the Peace Corps, in an email.

That number was based on the amount of volunteers who identified with SU, she said.

“We really want to get Syracuse back on the list next year,” Chamberlain said, adding this was most likely not a trend or the result of a specific issue.

Dove Russo, a field-based recruiter for the Peace Corps, said she is just as confident SU will return to the list next year.

“I spoke with 37 students during the Nonprofit & Government Career Fair, and interest on campus is clearly still just as strong as it has been,” Russo said.

In her first year recruiting at SU, Russo said she has exchanged information with more than 100 students through various career fairs and meetings on campus.

Russo said she hopes to use Peace Corps Week, which started Sunday, to successfully reach more students across the Syracuse area. Russo will also conduct an information session at the Mundy Branch Library in Syracuse at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.

The Peace Corps teaches technical skills, health and safety, and prepares students to work internationally. Students can benefit from a new cultural experience and learning a new language, she said.

There is also non-competitive eligibility for employment with the federal government after completing two years in the Peace Corps. The networking experience is also important for Peace Corps volunteers, Russo said.

Applying to the Peace Corps has become an increasingly competitive process since the program was established in 1961. Current SU alumni volunteer in 18 different countries in areas such as education, environment, health and community economic development, said Chamberlain, the Peace Corps spokeswoman.

When recruiting prospective volunteers, recruiters look at three things, Russo said.

Applicants are considered for selection based on their field of study, job experience and previous volunteer work.

Other important factors include leadership and teaching experience, motivation to serve, curiosity about another culture, and flexibility. Another important characteristic Russo stressed is taking advantage of the range of volunteer opportunities available to the SU community.

Said Russo: “It’s that thing that makes you stand out, that thing that makes you unique.”