Conservative

Stikkel: Huckabee event to bring thought-provoking speaker students of all political ideologies should appreciate

This Thursday, our very own College Republicans are hosting a lecture by former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee called “The Future of Conservatism.” It will be nice to hear someone speak in support of the pro-life position.

Hearing a right-to-life advocate speak at Syracuse University will increase opinion diversity on campus, at least temporarily. Hearing this position on campus will likely be a new experience for most who attend.

Last month, SU student Erin Carhart penned an op-ed piece for The Daily Orange representing Planned Parenthood. Carhart asserted we should “celebrate” and “honor” the Roe v. Wade decision because it “single-handedly has saved lives.”

Au contraire mon amie, Roe v. Wade has saved us from unsafe abortions, but the primary purpose of even a safe abortion is to end the life of an unborn child. Abortion, as intended, has ended 50 million human lives since Roe v. Wade, according to data from the Guttmacher Institute.

Though Roe v. Wade has prevented the botched abortion deaths of mothers since 1973, in all other cases (except those regarding the health of the mother) abortion has only taken lives and saved none.

Huckabee will make this point, but in a more eloquent way.

To join the controversy, one can tweet questions — about abortion or anything else — for Huckabee at @SyracuseGOPs, which is the Twitter handle for the SU College Republicans.

For those who want their convictions challenged, tickets are free at the Schine Box Office – and there is nothing more enticing than free.

In mathematical terms, “bang for the buck” is calculated by dividing bang by buck. With zero bucks spent, free tickets to “The Future of Conservatism” means unlimited bang.

Politics aside, most people cannot say they have seen a former presidential candidate or a television host in person. Huckabee’s lecture is an opportunity to see a famous person without spending any money or traveling.

Specifically, in terms of travel, the lecture will take place in Gifford Auditorium in Huntington Beard Crouse Hall at 7:30 p.m. For most students, this is in walking distance or just a short bus ride away.

For all enrolled in political science classes, attending a political event might translate into extra credit.

The Huckabee event provides a thought-provoking speaker, even for liberals. For conservatives, it means seeing a Fox News host in real life. For those who follow politics, the event means seeing a former presidential candidate. And for those who do not, it means seeing a famous person.

Hence, “The Future of Conservatism” has something for everyone.

Michael Stikkel is a junior computer engineering major and MBA candidate in the Martin J. Whitman School of Management. His column appears weekly. He can be reached at [email protected].