Slippery road conditions cause 3 accidents near South Campus involving 6 vehicles

Chase Gaewski | Photo Editor

Slippery road conditions caused three separate collisions involving five cars and one Centro bus near South Campus Friday afternoon.

Two cars, one in the left and the other in the right lane, stopped next to one another at a red light on the corner of Skyptop Road and E. Colvin Street around 3:50 p.m., said Jessica Whisher-Hehl, a PhD student in the School of Education who was driving the car in the right-hand lane.

A blue Saturn Ion slid into the car next to Whisher-Hehl’s, she said, and then another car hit her own almost simultaneously. The two accidents were unrelated, she said.

Victoria Krog, a sophomore photojournalism major who was driving the black Toyota Prius that hit the car in the left-hand lane next to Whisher-Hehl’s, cited slippery road conditions as the cause of the accident. She said although she hit the brake, her car continued to slide.

Chris Golinski, a freshman computer engineering major who drove the blue Saturn Ion that hit Whisher-Hehl’s, said he slid for about a quarter of a mile when he tried to brake.

Shortly after these accidents, a car slid into a Centro bus on Skyptop Road, said John LeBaron, a Department of Public Safety patrol officer who responded to the accident.

No one was injured, LeBaron said. The bus had minor damage.

All five cars involved in the accidents had some damage but no injuries among their passengers. A tow truck was called for the Ion and the others were driven away.