Big East

Sampson emerging into feature role at St. John’s

While most blue-chip recruits ran their teams and rolled through competition, JaKarr Sampson came off of the bench in his sophomore year at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School in Akron, Ohio. Sampson made the best of his situation, rebounding, taking shots when he was open and lighting up the court with an infectious smile.

Sampson quickly energized his team in his limited role. Early in the season, the rangy teenager, then 6 feet 6 inches, blocked a shot, then sprinted to the other end of the floor and finished with a dunk. Sampson ran back on defense and swatted another shot to spark a comeback.

St. Vincent-St. Mary head coach Dru Joyce watched that series of plays and decided Sampson had earned a starting job. That moment, he said, was when he saw Sampson’s potential.

“He just had that explosive first step,” Joyce said. “In basketball, when you’ve got that kind of explosiveness on your first step, you’ve got a lot of advantages in creating things for yourself.”

Now a 6-foot-8 freshman at St. John’s, Sampson showcases his athleticism on a larger stage. Averaging 14.8 points per game, he has developed into a viable scoring threat for the Red Storm (15-9, 7-5 Big East). He’s also played himself into consideration for the Big East Rookie of the Year award.

“He’s shown flashes of the athleticism that he brings to the game, he’s shown some intensity,” Joyce said. “Right now, I think he’s fitting in well with the group. He’s not forcing shots, he’s making good decisions and he’s playing both ends of the floor.”

Joyce hammers discipline and decision-making into his players, he said. Sampson arrived at St. Vincent-St. Mary without either of those. Joyce encouraged Sampson to make them a priority.

Sampson stayed calm and confident in his role, and emerged on a team that won the 2009 Ohio state championship.

“We didn’t look at him like he was anything special. He was competing with other great players, and iron sharpens iron,” Joyce said. “At that point, he was more a rebounder and putback guy, but he was efficient with the shots he did take. He was definitely an integral part of that state championship team.”

After a junior season in which he averaged 14 points and eight rebounds per game, Sampson left St. Vincent-St. Mary to attend Brewster Academy in New Hampshire, where he asserted himself in his new program. After he finished his senior year, he stayed at the prep academy an extra season, averaging 18.5 points and 11 rebounds per game in leading Brewster to a 33-1 record.

As his role expanded and he developed into the 32nd-ranked prospect in his class by ESPNU in 2011, Sampson drew on his experiences at St. Vincent-St. Mary – including his time as a reserve and his time under the guidance of idol and mentor, LeBron James.

Sampson met the three-time NBA Most Valuable Player and St. Vincent-St. Mary alumnus at a camp in James’ hometown of Akron. James takes interest in St. Vincent-St. Mary players, inviting them to workouts in the summer, staying in touch with them and giving them advice.

James still contacts Sampson as he adjusts to New York City and play in the Big East.

“He’s going to look out for them, mentor them and be that big brother that a guy like JaKarr needs,” Joyce said.

Sampson plays sidekick to sophomore guard D’Angelo Harrison at St. John’s. Recently, though, Sampson has been scoring and displaying his athletic skill more often. The Big East doesn’t intimidate Sampson.

“This is one of the reasons why I came to St. John’s, to play in big games like this,” Sampson said after a Jan. 30 overtime win over DePaul. “To play at Syracuse, at Louisville. We look to compete with the best, so I think we’re ready.”

Sampson has scored 17.8 points per contest in his last five Big East games, including a team-high 21 points in Sunday’s 77-58 loss at Syracuse. Sampson silenced the Carrier Dome crowd temporarily with an acrobatic, one-handed reverse dunk.

“His ability to create off the dribble, slash to the basket and finish at the rim gives him distinction among his peers,” St. John’s head coach Steve Lavin told reporters earlier this season.

Sampson’s attitude – more than his athleticism – separates him from his peers, Joyce said. He makes practical jokes on the sidelines and almost always smiles. Sampson’s demeanor allowed him to mesh at St. John’s, and will continue to aid him as he grows from a supporting player to a leading man.

“Coaching him, he’s one of those guys you can’t stay mad at long because that smile is going to keep coming back at you,” Joyce said. “He’s able to take what you say and shrug it off. Guys like to be around people like that.”