Liberal

Rockler: Fundamental American Dream stays consistent; hard work is rewarded

Conservatives are likely to view Obama’s State of the Union speech as a redefinition of the American Dream. They argue Obama is getting support because he’s handing out “free stuff” in the form of government services. In their view, Obama is no longer rewarding hard work. These opinions are misguided and inherently give the president more influence than he actually has.

It’s important to define what this dream is. Many people know and accept James Truslow Adams’ definition, “that dream of a land in which life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement.” Despite this, everyone seems to have their own definition.

But overall, it is unclear that our conception has changed. In the State of the Union speech, Obama advocated for increasing the federal minimum wage, tying it to inflation. He said it was a goal to restore “the idea that if you work hard and meet your responsibilities, you can get ahead, no matter where you come from, what you look like or who you love.” His vision is not, and should not, be controversial.

His policies have not changed the idea that hard work is rewarded. Helping individuals who have lost their jobs or cannot afford basics is not the distribution of free goods. It is a basic common good. Conservatives often complain about “big government” when Democrats are leading the country. When Republicans lead and expand government, as they have done throughout history, suddenly big government is not a worry and they stop complaining.

The dream has not been redefined. Those who argue that it has need to examine the country honestly, rather than let their biases cloud their judgments.

Harmen Rockler is a senior newspaper and online journalism and political science major. His column appears weekly. He can be reached at [email protected] or followed on Twitter at @LeftofBoston.