Quarterback Jones will not sign with Syracuse, has no offer from Orange

Miami quarterback Akeem Jones will not be joining the Orange despite reports he would be signing his Letter of Intent with Syracuse.

The Post-Standard reported Thursday that Syracuse offered a scholarship to Jones, a 6-foot-3, 200-pound quarterback from Miami Carol City High School, and that he would to sign his Letter of Intent as soon as his mother arrived in Florida. Jones did take an official visit to SU.

But on Friday, Scout.com and the Post-Standard reported Jones never had an offer from the Orange’s coaching staff, and SU never sent him a Letter of Intent for him to sign.

The signings of quarterback Mitch Kimble and Austin Wilson meant that Jones no longer fit into Syracuse’s plans.

There was an apparent miscommunication that led to the confusion surrounding Jones’ status with the Orange. Scout.com also reported Friday that Syracuse’s recruiting class will remain at 19 signees.

Lourawls 'Tum Tum' Nairn draws inspiration from roots, mother with Michigan State

On Friday at 10:07 p.m., when seventh-seeded Michigan State takes on No. 3 seed Oklahoma in the Carrier Dome, the point guard’s unexpected path to prominence on college basketball’s biggest stage will continue. The freshman entered MSU’s starting lineup for good in early February, which might be one of the lesser surprising things that have happened in his life. Read more »