Pop Culture

O’Hare: Classic clean-cut look and fitted suits is latest trend for men

The new trend for men is an extremely clean-cut look with parted hair and more form-fitting clothing, especially when it comes to suits. This is similar to previous trends, like the “metrosexual” phenomenon from the mid-2000s. But there is a crucial distinction: this current style evokes masculinity, unlike the feminine tones of the metrosexual craze.

This trend can be seen in television and movie characters, as well as in the real-life actors that play the roles.

On the television show “How I Met Your Mother,” Neil Patrick Harris plays Barney Stinson, a character who constantly hits on women and worships suits. In one episode, he sings a five-minute number about how much he loves suits and shouts his unofficial catchphrase, “Suit up!” when he wants his friends to join him in elegant attire.

James Bond is a timeless character and has always been portrayed in this sense. “Mad Men” character Don Draper is like the James Bond of 1960s advertising. The show’s bass-heavy introduction instills the same aesthetic as the Bond one. Once the show begins, you see the debonair universe Draper and his co-workers run – cigarettes, alcohol, money and women – all while impeccably dressed in three-piece suits.

Commercials have felt the same influence. The Old Spice Man is portrayed as the envy of all boyfriends, who might ascertain his machismo by using the same body wash. Edge Shave Gel then ripped off this approach with an identical commercial, only this time, the actor had parted hair and was wearing a suit.

Dos Equis commercials utilize manly hyperboles (“His mother has a tattoo that reads ‘son’”), before “The Most Interesting Man in the World” delivers the beer’s catchphrase. Naturally, he wears a shawl lapel tuxedo jacket and is surrounded by beautiful women.

Actors, too, are adopting this style in real life. To me, Shia Labeouf will forever be Louis Stevens from Disney Channel’s “Even Stevens.” But even he went all GQ on us with well-tailored suits and combed-back hair as soon as he began starring in movies.

In addition to losing some weight, Jonah Hill got a slick haircut and has sported it in every movie he’s appeared in since “21 Jump Street” and “The Watch.” It’s like he has a clause in his contracts that demands his hair doesn’t get changed for whatever role he’s playing.

A well-dressed, clean-cut look is undoubtedly in style, or at least being shoved down our throats by Hollywood. The question is, how did it start?

One of the earliest examples of this trend is Ron Burgundy, as many qualities of all of these characters can be traced back to him.

The introduction in “Anchorman” tells us, “He was like a God walking amongst mere mortals. He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr, and suits that made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

These lines could come straight out of a Dos Equis commercial. The person it’s describing may not be the most interesting man in the world, but he’s for damn sure the classiest man in San Diego, Calif.

“Anchorman” is also similar to “Mad Men.” True, one is a comedy and the other a drama, but there are several common aspects: the suits, the hair and the chauvinistic womanizing – all consolidated into a depiction of manliness.

Obviously, “Mad Men” has been more directly influential in terms of fashion trends – 60s style is considered old school and chic, whereas clothes from the 70s are just ridiculous. Yet the origins of this desire to “look good, I mean really good,” and the über-masculinity that has accompanied it, is unquestionably embodied by the legendary Ron Burgundy.

The tagline for “Anchorman 2” is “The Legend Continues.” Perhaps this style will, too.

James O’Hare is a senior history and political science major. His column appears weekly. He loves cheeseburgers. He can be reached at [email protected].