Lighting it up: Syracuse’s new-look attack anchors offense, scoring responsibilities

Nicky Galasso

Year: Junior

Height: 6-0

Weight: 195

Hometown: West Islip, N.Y.

Galasso transferred from North Carolina to Syracuse in January, and was immediately thrown into the mix for a spot as a starting attack. Inside Lacrosse rated him the No. 1 overall recruit in the Class of 2010. In his freshman season at UNC, he finished with 56 points and 32 assists, both program records for a freshman. Then, he was hurt in his sophomore season, and never completely bounced back in the 13 games he played. He transferred to Syracuse with his sights set on bouncing back, but suffered a lower-body injury that requires surgery. Instead of preparing for a starting role, Galasso finds himself hurt once again.

Derek Maltz

Year: Junior

Height: 6-3

Weight: 196

Hometown: Ashburn, Va.

The returning starter is unquestionably the anchor of the attack. He was Syracuse’s leading goal-scorer with 28 goals, and had a sparkling 41.2 percent shooting percentage. Maltz has the ability to put together remarkable games, like in the Orange’s win against Hobart last year, when he scored six goals. Following the graduation of Stephen Keogh after the 2011 season, Maltz took over as Syracuse’s crease attack and dominated. The Orange will need to him to maintain that productivity in order to bounce back from a disappointing season. He gave opposing goaltenders headaches, and is in position to do that again this season.

Kevin Rice

Year: Sophomore

Height: 5-8

Weight: 160

Hometown: Skaneateles, N.Y.

Rice came off of the bench in six games for Syracuse last season, and finished with three points. He scored his first goal in the Orange’s 15-6 win against Villanova in the Big East tournament. While he might not be starting this upcoming season, the more experienced Rice should be able to increase his scoring output in his second season. Inside Lacrosse rated the Skaneateles, N.Y., native the 16th best attack in the Class of 2011, and he scored 70 goals and had 66 assists in his senior season. With more playing time, Rice’s ability to match that level of talent at Syracuse should unfold.

Billy Ward

Year: Junior

Height: 5-8

Weight: 175

Hometown: Baldwinsville, N.Y.

Ward is a strong scorer who’s been coming off of the bench for the last two seasons. He played in 11 games last year, and finished with a goal and two assists in Syracuse’s 19-6 win against Rutgers in the ESPNU Warrior Classic, then had a goal and three assists in the Big East tournament. John Desko has been complimentary of Ward’s ability and potential. Ward could see more playing time, and can certainly be considered for a starting spot, especially with Nicky Galasso out for the season.

Pat Powderly

Year: Junior

Heigh: 5-8

Weight: 167

Hometown: Reisterstown, Md.

Powderly played sparingly in his first two seasons at Syracuse. Coming out of high school, Inside Lacrosse ranked him the No. 8 attack and No. 29 overall player, but he’s gotten off just three shots in his two years and played just four games last season after playing six the year before. He scored his first career goal against Providence last season, but has shown his role will be expanding in this year’s exhibitions. He tallied a hat trick against Holy Cross and scored a goal and added four assists in an 18-10 win against Robert Morris to close out the preseason.

Dylan Donahue

Year: Redshirt Freshman

Height: 5-9

Weight: 172

Hometown: Camillus, N.Y.

Donahue sat out all of last season as a redshirt, but appears to be very much a part of John Desko’s plans for this season. He’s played decent minutes in the team’s four scrimmages, starting in the preseason opener against Hofstra. Donahue looked comfortable cycling the ball around the offense with JoJo Marasco, Derek Maltz, Billy Ward and Kevin Rice. He scored his first goal 7:08 into the first quarter against Hofstra, peeling off of the crease and firing in off of an assist from Maltz. Donahue finished the preseason, also consisting of games against Holy Cross, Ohio State and Robert Morris, with seven goals and two assists.

Eric DeJohn

Year: Redshirt freshman

Height: 5-10

Weight: 170

Hometown: Syracuse

Though he redshirted a year ago, DeJohn is arguably Syracuse’s most talented dodging attack. The 2010 Post-Standard Central New York Player of the Year, DeJohn scored a school record 195 goals in three years at Jamesville-DeWitt High School. The attack took a big hit in the waning seconds of the Holy Cross scrimmage that left him on the ground for minutes, but he’s still a candidate to see major playing time on offense.

Jeff Desko

Year: Freshman

Height: 6-2

Weight: 197

Hometown: Marlborough, Mass

A U.S. Lacrosse All-American in high school, he scored 39 goals and finished with 23 assists as a senior. The nephew of head coach John Desko, he has plenty of potential to be reliable scoring contributor. But as a freshman, Desko might not see a ton of playing time. Currently, he’s listed on the roster as a midfielder but his experience as an attack makes him a perfect fit at that spot. If the Orange needs a scoring boost as the season progresses, Desko could be someone Syracuse turns to.

No. 9 Virginia

When: March 1

Where: Carrier Dome

Last year: Virginia 14, Syracuse 10

When the two met last year, Virginia was the top team in the nation, and the disappointment of 2012 had yet to set in for then-unbeaten Syracuse. Now, neither team is in the top eight – the Cavaliers enter the season ranked No. 9 – but it’s still a marquee matchup. UVA has a new look after graduating five All-Americans, but it still plays a fast-paced style, like the Orange, which should make it a compelling and entertaining matchup. Midfielder Rob Emery, who scored 24 goals last season, is back to help anchor the offense at midfield.

No. 5 Johns Hopkins

When: March 16, 1 p.m.

Where: Carrier Dome

Last year: No. 2 Johns Hopkins 11, No. 6 Syracuse 7

This will be a game of contrasts between the game’s two most storied programs. The enforcement of the revamped stall warning rules will almost certainly come under scrutiny as Hopkins will look to slow the game down against the Orange’s quick transition attack. A month into the season, the massive deciding factor is the

Blue Jays’ veteran defense unit against SU’s high-powered attack unit. Last season’s leading scorer, attack Brandon Benn, returns to lead the offense.

No. 14 Princeton

When: April 6, 5 p.m.

Where: Class of 1952 Stadium, Princeton, N.J.

Last year: No. 17 Syracuse 10, No. 11 Princeton 9

Princeton’s attack is led by first-team, All-American Thomas Schreiber, but the defense is in a reorganizing year at best, rebuilding at worst. The Tigers lost three regular defenders and its starting goaltender, Tyler Fiorito. That unit conceded just 7.25 goals per game last season. If Derrick Raabe, Nick Fernandez and the rest of the Tigers defense haven’t worked out all of their kinks by early April, SU could have a field day in front of the goal.

No. 6 Cornell

When: April 10

Where: Carrier Dome

Last year: Cornell 12, Syracuse 6

Cornell blew out Syracuse in Ithaca, N.Y., last year, even without Rob Pannell. The attack sat out last season with an injury, and now returns as a fifth-year senior to once again spark the Big Red attack. Paired with fellow attacks Matt Donovan and Steve Mock, Pannell helps give Cornell perhaps the top attacking unit in the nation. Unlike last year, the in-state rivalry is usually compelling. With a more experienced Orange side and a healthier Big Red unit, the game should get back to its exciting ways.