Women's Lacrosse

Freshman Treanor adds another option to potent Syracuse offense

Spencer Bodian | Staff Photographer

Syracuse attack Michelle Tumolo has still been a consistent offensive threat for the Orange, but forward Kayla Treanor has already scored nine goals in her freshman season.

Kayla Treanor has played just three games in her college career. She knows, her teammates know and her head coach knows the season is still young. Her career is just beginning.

But as a part of a highly regarded Syracuse attack, the freshman has shown flashes that she could be SU’s next offensive star.

Syracuse’s roster features 2012 Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association Attacker of the Year Michelle Tumolo, as well as Alyssa Murray, who led the nation in goals (74) and points (105) last year. But Treanor has meshed well with the established veterans and made her presence felt.

“She really doesn’t play like a freshman,” Tumolo said. “I know when I was a freshman, I was certainly nervous. But she’s taken that role very well and I think she’s going to be a great. She already is a great asset to the team, but she’s only going to go up from here. She’s going to be dangerous.”

With Tumolo suspended for the season-opener against Jacksonville on Jan. 13, Treanor scored five goals in her debut. She followed that with a pair of two-goal performances against then-No. 4 Maryland and No. 8 Virginia. Against UVA, she started a four-goal streak for the Orange that brought SU from an 8-5 deficit to a 9-8 lead. She scored the game-winner with 4:56 to play in the 10-9 victory.

Treanor said she’s glad to have the experience of playing two top-10 teams in the Carrier Dome under her belt, and credits her teammates for her early success.

“We’re a really good team and all the players make everybody look good,” Treanor said. “It’s easy for somebody to look good. It’s still really early in the season, so I’m getting comfortable.”

Because the season is just three games old, Treanor knows she has to find her role. She currently starts on the right side of the SU offense, often playing behind the cage, opposite Tumolo.

In Tumolo’s absence against Jacksonville, Syracuse head coach Gary Gait ran more plays for Treanor. Gait said she was patient and likely responded a little bit to not having Tumolo on the field. Against Maryland, Treanor was hesitant after being called for charging, Gait said.

These are the natural highs and lows expected from a young player.

“She’ll get some more opportunities and she’ll step up her game,” Gait said. “We need a balanced offense. I think if we get more people scoring and more people taking risks, we’ll be in great shape. But she needs to be a little bit more aggressive. She’s capable of going to the net a little bit more.”

While Treanor contributes, she’s also learning. She watches Tumolo and Murray every morning during practice – the way they make dodges, how they finish their shots and how to work behind the net, all of which will make her a better goal-scorer.

“I try and learn something every day from them,” Treanor said. “They’re two of the best players in the country, so if I can learn anything from them, I try to do that.”

SU assistant coach Katie Rowan holds the career points record at Syracuse with 396, a perhaps unattainable feat for anyone else. Tumolo is projected to finish her career as third on the Syracuse career points list and fifth in goals, but she’s already talking about her freshman teammate making a run at her marks.

“She has the confidence,” Tumolo said. “I think I’ve tried to give her all the confidence and advice I could give her, but I definitely think that she’s going to have a huge year every single year here. She’s going to be breaking records and she’s definitely going to be coming after my records.”