Softball

After successful playing career at Syracuse, Caira provides guidance as pitching coach

Stacie Fanelli | Staff Photographer

Syracuse pitching coach Jenna Caira became the first SU player to record 1,000 career strikeouts.

One thousand strikeouts.

It was a mark no pitcher had reached in the history of Big East softball, until Syracuse senior Jenna Caira tossed her way to 1,043 career strikeouts during the 2011-12 season. She also became the only Big East player to be named to the Easton Fastpitch All-America team after going 27-9.

No one has put on a Syracuse uniform and had the kind of on-mound success Caira enjoyed in her four years with the Orange. She is the school’s all-time leader in wins, starts, ERA and other pitching categories, and was instrumental in SU’s deep run to Game 6 of the NCAA Regionals a season ago.

When Caira played her final game last spring, she set her sights on remaining with the program as a pitching consultant, but head coach Leigh Ross had bigger plans.

“Originally, I was going to come back as an assistant and just help out,” Caira said. “But then coach Ross called me in July to offer me the official pitching coach position and I agreed to it.”

Accepting Ross’ offer was an easy decision for Caira, as the opportunity to stay around softball and share her vast knowledge of the sport was impossible to pass up.

As the team gears up for the start of the 2013 season, Caira looks to have her pitching staff in top form. She worked with the girls during the fall. Many were her teammates just a year ago, giving her familiarity with their individual tendencies that could produce sufficient results.

“The best thing about her is that she can really relate,” said sophomore Lindsay Taylor, who appeared in 22 games last season. “Having played with her really helps both (Stacy Kuwik) and I because she knows how we operate, she knows how we think and she knows where we need help.”

Now the staff’s ace, Kuwik finished with a 14-3 record and 1.60 ERA last season. In her final 15 appearances, she threw 76 innings altogether, gave up just eight earned runs and collected eight wins.

“Stacy Kuwik is our senior and this is her time to really shine,” Caira said. “I know exactly what she is capable of doing and I have great expectations for her.”

As Kuwik takes on a leadership role for the pitching staff and entire team, Caira has the utmost confidence she will take the torch and run with it. The two were teammates under Ross for three seasons, and thrived with her hard work philosophy that has revived the program.

In her first three seasons, Kuwik finished second on the team in wins each year behind Caira. Now Caira will guide her from the sidelines as she takes the final step in her maturation as a collegiate pitcher.

“I have become a better player already by being able watch her and play with her,” Kuwik said. “I probably have the best pitching coach out there, and I am really confident in the things that she’s taught me and I’m ready to go out there and use them.”

For the coming season, Kuwik is looking to flourish in her first year as a full-time starter, while Taylor wants to command her team’s confidence as she moves into a bigger role.

Caira, who met nearly all of her personal goals at Syracuse, had a word of advice for her pitching staff.

“If you slack off one day or slack off one pitch, you are setting yourself up for failure,” Caira said. “I always say that every pitch has a purpose, and that it’s not enough to just go through the motions.”