Tight end recruit Batten flips commitment from Kent State to Syracuse

Dade Christian High School (Fla.) tight end Aaron Batten switched his commitment from Kent State to Syracuse, Scout.com reported earlier today.

Batten originally committed to KSU earlier this month, according to Scout, but visited Syracuse last weekend before changing his verbal commitment.

The 6-foot-4 220-pound Batten told Scout he thought SU was “a better opportunity” for him. Batten is a two-star recruit ranked No. 98 in the country at tight end in the class of 2013, according to Scout.

He joins fellow Floridian Tyler Provo at tight end in the recruiting class. Batten’s addition gives SU 19 commitments, according to Scout.

The Orange recently hired offensive coordinator George McDonald, a recruiter vaunted for his ability to get commitments from players in the Miami area.

• Bostonway

I’m glad to see SU draw players from other schools, but pulling one from Kent State? Is that worth an article?

Posse program changes disappoint, empower current SU scholars

The university announced about a month ago that SU would now only provide scholarships for future Posse scholars from Miami and would stop scholars from Atlanta and Los Angeles. But following a protest of the decision on Sept. 19, administrators announced they were rethinking the changes and on Monday decided to continue the Atlanta Posse for one more year. Although the changes will not affect current Posse scholars, the uncertainty surrounding the program has strengthened the Posse community on campus. Read more »