Tight end recruit Batten flips commitment from Kent State to Syracuse

Dade Christian High School (Fla.) tight end Aaron Batten switched his commitment from Kent State to Syracuse, Scout.com reported earlier today.

Batten originally committed to KSU earlier this month, according to Scout, but visited Syracuse last weekend before changing his verbal commitment.

The 6-foot-4 220-pound Batten told Scout he thought SU was “a better opportunity” for him. Batten is a two-star recruit ranked No. 98 in the country at tight end in the class of 2013, according to Scout.

He joins fellow Floridian Tyler Provo at tight end in the recruiting class. Batten’s addition gives SU 19 commitments, according to Scout.

The Orange recently hired offensive coordinator George McDonald, a recruiter vaunted for his ability to get commitments from players in the Miami area.

• Bostonway

I’m glad to see SU draw players from other schools, but pulling one from Kent State? Is that worth an article?

Back of the pack

None of the Orange's running backs have crossed the goal line since the season opener. They hope to change that against N.C. State on Saturday. Read more »

The Quiet Corner

Brandon Reddish doesn't say much. He doesn't like to and he doesn't need to. The Syracuse cornerback leads an Orange secondary that's held opponents to 197.6 passing yards per game. Read more »