Ice Hockey

Staff report: Syracuse ice hockey blown out at Cornell

Cornell extended Syracuse’s losing streak to three games Tuesday in a dominating 8-1 victory.

The No. 4 Big Red wasted little time taking control of the game, scoring its first goal after just 2:27. Cornell’s Brianne Jenner followed with two quick goals of her own, giving Cornell a 3-0 lead after 7:37 of play.

Jacquie Greco tried leading a fight back for the Orange (10-11-1, 4-3-1 College Hockey America), scoring an unassisted goal at the 7:57 mark of the first period, but it was SU’s only goal of the night. Cornell (12-4, 8-2 Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference) scored two more goals before the end of the first period, leaving the ice with a 5-1 lead.

The second period hardly went better for the Orange. Hayleigh Cudmore scored for Cornell on a power play at 14:30 in the second period, and Jillian Saulnier followed that up about four and a half minutes later with a goal of her own.

In the third period, Cornell continued to build its lead. Jenner scored at 14:13 in the third period, giving her a hat trick for the day and Cornell an 8-1 lead.

The Orange and Big Red finished even on penalties, but Cornell outshot Syracuse 32-14.

SU will attempt to bounce back this weekend when it travels to St. Charles, Mo. to face Lindenwood for games on Friday and Saturday.

-Compiled by Ryan Raigrodski, staff writer, [email protected]