University Senate

Search committee to use website, survey to help find next chancellor

A number of ways for the Syracuse University community to voice what it would like to see in the next chancellor are in the works, including open forums and a possible visit from the search committee chair.

The University Senate discussed the ongoing search in its first meeting of the new year, held Wednesday in Maxwell Auditorium at 4 p.m. The university released an official statement Wednesday about chancellor search committee members and ways for campus members to stay involved.

The search committee expects to have a website dedicated to the search online within the next few weeks, along with a campus-wide survey. The university will hold several open forums, likely the week of March 18, said Kevin Quinn, senior vice president for public affairs.

Joanne Alper, chair of the chancellor search committee and vice chair of the Board of Trustees, is hoping to attend the Feb. 16 USen meeting, said Bruce Carter, chair of the Agenda committee.

The board has also hired executive recruitment firm Spencer Stuart, a global firm founded in Chicago, to assist in the search.

Chancellor Nancy Cantor, who attended the USen meeting, announced Oct. 12 that she plans to leave the university when her contract expires in 2014. The committee hopes to find the next chancellor within a year.

Senate reaffirms committee’s purpose

Following an incident in which faculty members called an affront to one of the few decision-making powers faculty hold, the Senate passed a motion reaffirming the purpose of the Committee on Appointments and Promotions.

In May, the Board of Trustees stepped in to approve eight College of Law candidates for promotion during its May 12 meeting after the Committee on Appointments and Promotions declined to endorse the candidates, saying procedures were not followed.

Senators briefly discussed the purpose of the motion and whether the motion was purely symbolic. Pat Cihon, a member of the Academic Affairs committee, said he thought it was important for the Senate to show the committee report, whether or not the motion would prevent a similar situation in the future.

“I think, although it may be symbolic, it is important because symbols can be very powerful,” Cihon said.

The committee proposed making a similar motion at the Senate’s November meeting, but confusion over the issue stopped the motion from passing.

Internal investigations committee releases interim report

The ad hoc committee charged with the task of reviewing the university’s policies and practices and how they align with the university’s actions issued its interim report to the Senate.

Senators had no comments or questions regarding the interim report. Kristi Andersen, a professor of political science and chair of the committee, was unable to attend the Senate meeting but said beforehand in an email the committee was “definitely making progress.”

A full report from the committee was expected in December, but the committee requested more time because of the complexity of the topic. A final report is expected from the committee in March or April, said Carter, also a member of the committee.

The Senate announced it would form the committee last January. The committee was created to independently study the administration’s policies and practices, acting on concerns that the 2005 investigation into the Bernie Fine sexual abuse allegations was done by the university’s own law firm, Bond, Schoeneck and King.

Vice chancellor review complete

The committee handling Vice Chancellor and Provost Eric Spina’s first evaluation completed its review, Carter announced to the Senate. The report will not be made public, as it is a personnel matter and viewed only by the chancellor, Spina’s direct supervisor.

The vice chancellor is evaluated every five years. This is Spina’s first review.