Police search house on 800 block of Ackerman Avenue as part of drug investigation

UPDATED: Jan. 17, 2013, 6:57 p.m.

A house on the 800 block of Ackerman Avenue is under investigation for drugs, Senior Investigator John Pignone of the state police’s Community Narcotics Enforcement Team said.

Police were seen entering 853 Ackerman Ave. just before 3 p.m. on Thursday. Residents on the block said they saw armed police emerge from unmarked minivans and cars before breaking down the door.  Pignone said the search was part of an ongoing investigation between the state police and postal service. The police had a warrant to search the house.

Police were seen entering another house a few doors down where Syracuse University students reportedly live, but Pignone said police were there to ask the residents questions. He declined to give further information as the investigation is ongoing.

Gavin Okoniewski, a local resident, said the house police were inside to question residents was the home of his girlfriend, an SU senior. Okoniewski said he had no reason to believe police would need to search his girlfriend’s home.

Police were still in the house as of 4:15 p.m. and were seen carrying evidence bags from their cars. Marked city and state cars were also parked on the block.

It is unknown if SU students are involved.