Onondaga County reported flu cases passes 2009 swine flu record

The flu is spreading throughout Onondaga County at the fastest and most prevalent rate since the 2009 swine flu.

The number of lab-confirmed cases in Onondaga County rose to 210 last week, up from 95 cases the week before, reported The Post-Standard.

But many people who have the flu do not seek treatment, so this number could be substantially higher. In 2009, the number of reported cases in Onondaga County exceeded 350 in a single week, reported The Post-Standard.

Kathleen Van Vechten, nurse practitioner at SU Health Services, said Health Services has only seen a few cases of confirmed influenza on campus at SU, but stressed that this could change at any time because the flu is very contagious.

This year’s flu season started earlier than usual and the virus is spreading quickly. The number of flu cases in Onondaga County has doubled every week since October, reported The Post-Standard.

There has been a significant increase in flu activity in the United States in the past two weeks. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has declared Dec. 2-8 National Influenza Vaccination Week and is urging people to get vaccinated against the flu, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.

Van Vechten urged students to come in and get vaccinated. SU Health Services has held 12 flu clinics so far and vaccinated about 3,000 students, she said.

Some flu viruses can live up to two hours on surfaces such as desks, phones and doorknobs, Van Vechten said. She added that it is important to wash hands frequently using warm water and soap. If possible, one should avoid touching one’s face because the eyes, nose and mouth are entry ports for flu viruses.

During finals, Van Vechten said, it is important for students to take care of their bodies so they won’t get sick. High levels of stress can reduce immune functioning, lowering the body’s ability to defend against colds and flu, she said.

It is also important for students to limit alcohol intake during finals week because alcohol is dehydrating, making one even more prone to catching the flu, she said. Students who think they may have the flu should call Health Services and make an appointment.

Said Van Vechten: “We have dealt with flu for many years and deal with as many flu cases as may present (themselves) during a usual flu season.”