Marrone will handle players’ arrests internally; says Spruill currently eligible for Pinstripe Bowl

NEW YORK — Marquis Spruill is currently eligible to play in the Pinstripe Bowl, Syracuse head coach Doug Marrone said Wednesday.

Spruill was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest after he and teammate Steve Rene were arrested Sunday. Rene, who is out for the season after undergoing surgery for an upper-body injury, was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

Speaking after a news conference at Yankee Stadium, Marrone said he was disappointed in his players’ behavior but will handle it internally.

Spruill and Rene will appear in court on Dec. 19, 10 days before the Pinstripe Bowl.

“Obviously we’re disappointed in the behavior of both of our players,” Marrone said. “I’ll handle it internally. That’s really it.”

Spruill, an outside linebacker, is crucial to the SU defense and ranks fourth on the team in tackles.

“Just like for all our players, you have to earn that right and keep going in the right direction, and we’ll handle things internally,” Marrone said. “Up until the point, we expect our players to act in a proper fashion and with the expectations of our school because we represent Syracuse University. We’re disappointed in what has occurred.”