Marrone to interview with Bills, Browns according to ESPN report

Andrew Renneisen | Staff Photographer

Less than a week after leading Syracuse to a win in over West Virginia in the Pinstripe Bowl, Orange head coach Doug Marrone is scheduled to interview for the head coaching position with the Cleveland Browns and Buffalo Bills, ESPN reported.

Syracuse head coach Doug Marrone is scheduled to interview with the Cleveland Browns and Buffalo Bills this week, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Monday.

The Bills fired their head coach, Chan Gailey, after going 6-10 during the regular season. Cleveland finished the year 5-11 before also firing its head coach, Pat Shurmur, on Monday.

Marrone is coming off of Syracuse’s 38-14 win over West Virginia in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium Saturday. In his four seasons at SU, Marrone is 25-25. He also guided Syracuse to a 36-34 Pinstripe Bowl victory in 2010.

Before becoming the head coach of the Orange, Marrone spent seven seasons coaching in the NFL.

He served as the offensive line coach for the New York Jets from 2002 to 2005, and then as the offensive coordinator for Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints from 2006 to 2008.

Marrone is highly regarded by NFL coaches and executives. When Marrone took the job with Syracuse, many NFL coaches, including New Orleans head coach Sean Payton, said Marrone would one day end up as a head coach in the NFL.

Syracuse ran an up-tempo, no-huddle offense this season, a system that’s becoming increasingly popular in the NFL. That, coupled with his NFL coaching experience, could make him a popular candidate for head coaching positions in the NFL.

• Bostonway

Geez, just when SU gets moving the right direction…it would suc if DM took an NFL HC job! And after the GRob hiring disaster by Gross, I don’t have much confidence he (Gross) can ensure a strong HC hire for SU.

• http://www.facebook.com/cory.schmitt.35 Cory Schmitt

Good for him, bad for cuse… Feels to me like if every moment of your career is building up to be the head coach of Syracuse you might hang around longer than 4 years

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=559615823 Bernard Tarver

After the Greg Robinson fiasco, I thought Doug Marrone, as an SU alum, would want to stay longer and leave a lasting mark on the football program. He has certainly pointed us in the right direction. But opportunities don’t come along every day and this week 7 jobs opened up in the NFL. While I will wish him well in his interviews, if he doesn’t get hired, I won’t be disappointed.

• http://twitter.com/chaseboat Jon Chase

Always saw Doug Marrone as the right coach for the Orange. A guy who really WANTED to be there. Of course, I wish him the best, but hope that means that he’s as smart as Paterno was when he turned down the Patriots, and smarter than Coach Mac when he went there. Doug, ask Jim Boeheim’s advice before you make any firm plans — you’re a SYRACUSE man!

• icanewfriend

Sure the money will be better, but the constant churn that is NFL coaching is much less appealing than stil making good money coaching your college alma mater. If you keep your head above water in wins, you can spend many wonderful years coaching kids before they become spoiled prima donnas.

Remembrance Week 2014

From the shadows

This year, the Remembrance Scholars created silhouettes of the 35 SU students who died in the Pan Am Flight 103 bombing and placed them throughout campus in locations where the victims would have most likely hung out. Read more »