The Daily Orange

Duck: Meghin Delaney

Asst. News Editor | Spring 2010; News Editor | Fall 2011; Editorial Editor | Spring-Fall 2012

Micah Benson | Art Director

I have rewritten this duck about 100 times. I started it when I really did think I was going to leave The Daily Orange, an entire year ago. I’ve been updating it at least once a week since then, trying to figure out what to say. I had hoped having it written beforehand would take away some of the emotional distress associated with leaving the place I’ve called home for four semesters. It didn’t work — I’m still turning in my duck two days late and I’m still struggling to even think about leaving this place.

Anyway, thanks for the perspective everyone and sorry for playing with your hair. …

Mom, Dad, Shaun and Kevin: I don’t think I let on how much of a toll The D.O. took on me. Sorry I’m not coming home.

Kheel: You assigned me my first story and weren’t afraid to tell me how awful it was. But something you did made me come back, so many long nights later, thank you.

Beckie: My tenure at The D.O. has progressed how it has because of you and I don’t think you know how I envy you.

Katie and Kathleen: Thanks for hiring me. Kath, the way you share advice is impeccable. You’re so easy to ask for help.

Boren: Ready? Just once. “Cool whip.

Dara: Of the people I respect at this paper, you are at the top. Thank you for reminding me why the news editor is important. Thank you for letting me escape to the management couch. Thank you for the key lime pie on my birthday.

Susan Kim: Whenever I feel like I shouldn’t be working at The D.O., I reread your duck.

Becca: I haven’t deleted the email you sent me after we produced the 9/11 paper. You said you hoped your design matched my efforts. By far, every design you have ever worked on for this paper far exceeded the efforts anyone else put into it.

Jon: Everything you do, you do well. I slightly hate you for that. If I was a calm news editor it was because you were in the newsroom. Thank you for not showing how sick of me you got and for dealing with having a million classes with me.

Liz: I may have been too hard on you. I’m sorry I was such a bad teacher.

Debbie: I’m lucky to have had you in my section. I’m so proud. I’m so glad we spent the summer in NYC together and became … friends.

NickGallagherWarren: I’m sad we didn’t have the chance to work together.

Bre: It’s incredible how much you cared about copy editing and The D.O. Kill it in D.C. for me. I’ll miss ya, kid.

Bouv: You brought the necessary sassiness to the newsroom and made my days that much brighter.

Maddy: It’s a bummer you couldn’t have been on the porch with me together, but I know you’ll shine there this spring. Make sure Rachael entertains you — it’s part of her job.

Cheryl: I was incredibly worried about who my porch mate would be this semester. I am so, so glad it was you.

Amrita: You led with exceptional poise and grace. Thanks for putting up with the 8,000 budget emails I sent daily.

Rachael: How much you’ve changed since the first University Lectures preview. … It’s been the best pleasure working with you and I’m so excited you’ll be taking over. I’ll try not to be overbearing.

Marwa: Thanks for making me feel important and helpful. I appreciate it more than you know.

Jess, Dylan, Meredith, Evan: You’re all so talented. It’s been great to watch.

Casey: It’s a hard job and it will take you down. But it’s the best job. Keep an ear to the ground and ask for help. Always remember, it’ll be worth it in the end.

Columnists: Sorry I’m crazy. You guys were great and it’s been my pleasure.

Cohen: I know I probably wasn’t your ideal counterpart when all the sports-news news happened, but I’m glad you were mine.

Ryne, Iseman, Bailey, Treds, Klinger, Wilson: Thanks for putting up with me, my not-so-funny jokes and my mac ideas. Also, I’m sorry.

KatKim, Biddie, Odie, Erik, CDB, Avery, Boomer: I was secretly jealous of you all. Pulp seems like it’s actually fun.

Lauren Tousignant: You are not forgotten about! I’ve been trying to live up to your legacy, but I can’t stomach that much alcohol.

Ankur: I’m sorry I never learned to actually design pages. I’m sorry I tried to call myself a designer. Can we still be friends?

Designers: I am sorry for pretending to be a designer and be as cool as you guys are.

Beth: You’ll always be my freshman. Even though you are now cooler and wiser than you were in LIT 102.

Chase, Kristen, Lauren, Sam, Luke: No matter how much we joke about it, the photo editor position is really not cursed. It’s just a position that takes drive and commitment. I’m glad you all have that.

Emmett: There was a semester where we always ended up at the same parties. I miss that!

Micah: You fit in seamlessly here. Thanks for sending me all of the emojis. And for the kick-ass duck.

Sara Tracey: Thanks for not judging me when I ate a pint of ice cream in one sitting.

Laura, Shayna, Melanie: Thank you for emailing me when I least expected it, but needed it the most.

Profs Grimes, Gutterman, Gallagher and Lloyd: Sorry for skipping classes and sleeping in class and talking too much in class. You’re great resources and I’m sorry for not utilizing your skills.

Hannah, Kaycie, Stacy, Lauren, Lauren, Jess, Emmy: I don’t know why you are still friends with me. But I am finally leaving The D.O., only to graduate and leave again. Sorry.

Laurence: I admire your grammatical skills and appreciate you always picking up my slack. You’ve always been there for me and I don’t thank you enough. I’m sorry we never decorated our apartment. I hope they don’t stick you with a random roommate.

Alexis: Thanks for always having the right answers to my problems, even when I didn’t listen. I’m sorry The Daily Orange prevented you from visiting.

Mark: I’m never going to figure out the right thing to say here and you know how many times I’ve come back in and edited this. I love you. I’m proud of you. But I’m scared as hell to leave you and go into the real world without you. Come with me?

-30-