The Daily Orange

Duck: Erik van Rheenen

Asst. Copy Editor | Fall 2011; Asst. Feature Editor | Spring-Fall 2012

Micah Benson | Art Director

I’ve always been The D.O.’s music guy, but for once in my journalistic life, I’m at a loss for words. So where my pen failed me, I called on the muses blasting from my headphones to help me reminisce. Here’s to late nights, no sleep, coffee eyes and the best of friends. I loved every second of it.

Hey thanks again, for everything you did.

The Daily Orange staff: “All my friends are living saints.” You all made the house at 744 Ostrom Ave. into a home, and I wouldn’t trade any of you for the world. Except maybe Beth.

The Vandy Clan: “Steady and faithful as my anchor.” Mom, dad, Mo: I hope I made you guys proud. You stood by my side and let me take my own risks. I love you all so much.

Jeff, Nick and Dan: “We all grew up weird enough to laugh at how we used to be.” And I’m glad we did. You guys are the best friends I could ever have.

Adam: “You want a friend for life, just listen to me.” You helped me get through some tough times. Thanks for always being there.

Dara and Amrita: “If I started over, I’d do the same again.” You guys sure saw a heck of a lot more in me then I saw in myself. Thanks for giving this punk a shot.

Liz: “I’m too sexy for my shirt.” #SorryImNotSorry for my awkward striptease either. But really, I envy you as a reporter. You’re fearless and headstrong.

Mark and Laurence: “I’m writing this all down to let you know I gave my very best.” When things fell apart, thank you guys for trusting Chelsea and I to step up. Mark, I’ll miss your unfailing good humor. Laurence, you’re the dearest deer I know.

Micah: “I want to be the very best, like no one ever was.” The only thing I enjoyed more than you playing Pokemon and cracking jokes with the Featch staff was your mom last night.

Rachael: “Tonight, we are young. So let’s set the world on fire.” Thanks for dancing on a bar with this dorky assistant feature editor at Battle.

Meredith: “They may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.” Covering Lamapalooza with you was a blast and a half.

Jess: “Tramps like us, baby we were born to run.” Having another Springsteen fan was rad. Keep Casey sane next semester.

Casey: “If you get a chance to win, take it.” Own the news section, make it your own and don’t forget to take a deep breath once in a while.

Meghin: “Turn the record over. Hey, I’ll see you on the flip side.” Sure, we had a friendly feud, but I have so much respect for you.

Chase: “Keep running, keep shining on.” From one cross-country kid to another, keep the finish line in mind, but enjoy the view once in a while too. I’m done here, but I’m glad you’re not.

Lizzie: “Just do what you can to do what you love, and be mindful when someone out there gives a shit.” Stay inspired, stay sharp and, most of all, use spell check. You’ll do great.

Beth: “All my friends, they break and they bend. They take shape and they tend to get better with time.” I’m going to miss our bantering and bickering. Honestly, you’re one of the coolest girls I know. Don’t change.

Jon: “The dog days are over, the dog days are gone.” I’ll miss watching you flip chairs in Featch and making the house shake when you walk. Jokes: You’re not fat, and I hope your you-know-what stops hurting.

KatKim: “I’ll make mistakes over and over again. You taught me not to be afraid, it’s okay to make them.” I wouldn’t be writing this now if it wasn’t for your patience and enthusiasm. I learned from the best.

Danielle: “You helped to build, a belief within me that I carry to this day.” You left enormous shoes for me to fill. I hope I fit them okay.

Boomer: “Wherever you go, go with all your heart.” And tell ’em Boomer sent you. We’ll miss your Southern charm in Pulp. Good luck rushing, and hope you touch back down in Delta Omega soon.

Avery: “I used to wonder what friendship could be, until you shared its magic with me.” I’m really going to miss your sass, so here’s one pun for the road: Stay gold, Ponygirl.

Colleen: “Things were never the same after you came and went.” I can’t thank you enough for being my first, and one of my best, friends in the house. You’re tough as nails and have a fighting spirit, and I can’t wait to hang out with you more often.

Marwa: “We been knocked around, we been kicked down. When the floor gave out, we found common ground.” Hey, we survived. Whenever I was at the end of my fuse, you’d never fail to get me to smile. You’re boundlessly optimistic and I’m honored to say you’re my friend.

Ankur: “Sometimes I think the best nights are only spent with best friends.” From our first thunderous high-five, I knew we were going to make a heck of a team. You gave me my nickname and when I was awkward and new, you made me feel like part of the group.

Chelsea: “Go forth, stay gold, stay yours.” There’s no one I would’ve wanted by my side this semester more than you. We kept our heads above water, and it’s just hitting me now how lucky I am to have a best friend like you. If being co-Feature editor with you is my only legacy at The Daily Orange, that’s all I need. It’s been real, Slumpy.