Student Association

First-day voting in elections increases from previous year

The Student Association received about 2,046 votes for the SA elections as of 6 p.m. Monday, said Board of Elections and Membership Chair Jenn Bacolores.

Bacolores said this indicated that 13.5 percent of the student body has voted, at 160 more votes than the election this time last year. Only 10 percent of the student body needs to vote in order to validate the election, which means voting will not be extended past 11:59 p.m. Thursday.

About 100 votes came in within an hour of the start of voting at midnight last night, Bacolores said.

There are at least 14,400 undergraduate students enrolled at Syracuse University, according to SU’s Office of Institutional Research & Assessment.

The large voter turnout could contribute to a combination of different factors, being those of four candidates running this year, the ability of the candidates to publicize the election and the increased efforts of SA’s public relations committee to promotes events like the SA debate, Bacolores said.

Voting for Student Association president and comptroller will take place on MySlice from Nov. 12-15. Students can log onto MySlice and click on the “Vote Now” button in the center module.

Board of Elections and Membership members have also stationed voting stations around campus to help and encourage students to vote. Station locations include the Life Sciences Complex, the Warehouse, the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and the Martin J. Whitman School of Management, Bacolores said.