Veterans

Institute for Veterans and Military Families celebrates 1-year anniversary, marks progress

Luke Rafferty | Design Editor

Members of the ROTC hold the flag during Monday's Veteran's Day Ceremony honoring the more than 6,000 who have lost their lives in the war on terror.

The willingness to help veterans in any way possible is what draws many people to the Institute for Veterans and Military Families.

“If we have financial trouble, trouble with our teacher, or a problem with pretty much anything, they will find a way to get it done and see what they can do to make it better for student veterans and any veterans in general,” said Ryan Roach, a sophomore Navy veteran.

On Friday, the IVMF held an open house for people in the Syracuse area to celebrate its anniversary and show the progress it has made in the past year.

The goal of the institute is to aid veterans and families in finding opportunities for education and employment after returning from service, said Erica Franceschini, a student intern at IVMF.

“We implemented a lot of programs to help veterans when starting their own business,” Franceschini said. “We also released a resource to help companies understand what it is like to hire a veteran, and what steps they can take to make it easier and more comfortable for both the veterans and the businesses.”

The IVMF has many programs to help veterans start their own business, such as Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans with Disabilities (EVB), Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans’ Families (EVB-F), Veteran Women Igniting the Spirit of Entrepreneurship (V-Wise) and Operation Endure & Grow, said Jaime Alvarez, the director of Media Relations and Communications for IVMF.

There is a stigma attached to veterans that they are not fit to work after service because they are either seen as heroes or broken, Alvarez said.

“What we are trying to do, through our programs and supports services, is show that they all have a skill set that they have gained through military service that is transferable, post-service, to business and industry,” Alvarez said.

The EBV program was designed to help veterans transition into the work force, but those still in service are able to take advantage of it as well.

“I am still in service so I have not transitioned yet, but I have become familiar with the people of IVMF through the EVB program,” said National Guard member Sean McQuaid. “As a Syracuse guy, the EBV program is a great opportunity for me to be connected to helping veterans as they transition out.”

During the last year, a new program was added to help veterans make the transition out of the service.

The program, Operation Boots to Business: From Service to Startup, helps members getting out of the service transition into a career in entrepreneurship or small-business management, Alvarez said.

Veterans are on staff at the IVMF and are able to give insight into what other returning veterans may need assistance with, said Ray Toenniessen, director of new initiatives & external relations for IVMF.

The veteran community drives the institute’s mission and IVMF employees are constantly getting feedback from veterans and family members about how to shape their programs, he said.

These returning veterans are compelled to serve in one way or another, Toenniessen said, and the IVMF guides them into a field that they might be interested in.

“I think the EBV programs have had a large impact and we have been able to see that veterans are very good entrepreneurs,” he said. “It is a way for veterans to give back to the economy, to hire veterans or nonveterans and continue that transition to impact the country.”

The IVMF has given opportunities for students to come to SU with help from the Yellow Ribbon Program. The IVMF has helped the SU Veterans’ Resource Center and given it a room in which to work within IVMF, said Sean Galloway, president of the Student Veterans of America SU Chapter.

IVMF does not hesitate to help a veteran with anything he or she may need. Students in the Veterans’ Resource Center are comfortable with seeking help from IVMF, Galloway said, which says a lot about the people and organization.

“I can go to them for anything, it’s an open-door policy and that alone is very helpful,” he said. “I can go down there and ask for help, and if they can’t help they will find someone who can.”

IVMF, although not part of the Veterans’ Resource Center, is always looking out for the greater good of all veterans, Galloway said.

Said Galloway: “IVMF is separate from the Veterans’ Research Center, but they are here for everybody.”