Pulp

Ra Ra Riot’s Rebecca Zeller dishes on hometown concert

Rebecca Zeller, Setnor School of Music alumna and Ra Ra Riot violinist, remembers sitting in class at Crouse College during her college days. Six years since her graduation and a storied indie music career later, she’s ready to get back on stage at the Setnor Auditorium.

But Zeller also found herself at the front of the classroom teaching as part of a four-day Ra Ra Riot residency. She and her bandmates, along with their management and technical team, have taught seminars in Crouse College. The residency culminates with a full band seminar titled “The team & the new release” on Nov. 15 in Lender Auditorium in the Martin J. Whitman School of Management.

Ra Ra Riot will perform at 7 p.m. Tickets the day of the show cost $12 and are available at the Schine Student Center Box Office. The concert is presented by Syracuse University Arts Engage, the College of Visual and Performing Arts, Marshall Street Records and Syracuse University Recordings.

Pulp sat down with Zeller to talk about visiting old haunts, being back at her alma mater and plans to release Ra Ra Riot’s third studio album, “Beta Love,” in January.

The Daily Orange: What’s it like being back on campus?

Rebecca Zeller: We’ve played in Syracuse a few times at Funk ’n Waffles and The Westcott Theater, but it’s great to get to play in a university building. It’s less strange and more exciting to be back, since I used to perform recitals on the same stage as a student.

The D.O.: How about teaching classes in a university building?

RZ: (Laughs.) It didn’t feel weird to not be a student because it’s been a while, but it did feel weird to be in front of a class. It’ll feel good if they all go well and everyone’s excited to do it. I had one earlier (Monday) and I think it went well. It’s great to work with students like this.

The D.O.: Do you have plans to visit any of your old stomping grounds?

RZ: We will be working while we’re here. We rented practice space downtown for rehearsals. But everyone’s excited to go to Alto Cinco, and we might stop by Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, too. And we might grab drinks at Chuck’s. We’re here until Thursday afternoon, so we’ll get a chance to revisit some places.

The D.O.: Is it tough picking a set list for a hometown show like this?

RZ: We’re getting there (laughs). It’s not really difficult, since we only have two albums, but we’ve been trying to put new songs in, and you always want to set the right mood and atmosphere at a concert.

The D.O.: You’re releasing a new album, “Beta Love,” in January. Can you talk a little bit about the album’s name?

RZ: Well, it comes from a song on the record, and it describes the first love program for an android. Our approach to recording the album was definitely different, and I think the songwriting is a bit stronger. It’s more upbeat than “The Orchard.”

The D.O.: How was the approach different?

RZ: With “The Orchard,” we went about it the same as we did for “The Rhumb Line,” and someone would bring an idea to the table and we’d all work around that idea. For this album, we looked to service the song instead of the musicians. The first two albums focused more on melody-driven string parts, but this time I’d think, “Does this song need a violin part? And if it does, what should it sound like?”

The D.O.: Will you play any new songs on Wednesday?

RZ: Probably at least one. We’ll see.