Syracuse after dark

‘Cuse offers variety of venues for concert fans

Syracuse is known for its nationally renowned university along with the school’s record-winning basketball team. However, deep within all the Orange pride is a music scene that students should not miss out on. If students take a walk around the city, they’ll find venues frequented by the likes of Green Day, Arrested Development and everyone in-between.

For those enjoy the sound of speakers booming and the intimate feel of a live performance, the Westcott Theater is the place. The small venue features local bands like Sophistafunk and Animal Pants, as well as well-known artists like Asher Roth and Best Coast. Concertgoers probably won’t even mind having their feet stuck to the beer-soaked floor from standing so long because the music will be too captivating, thanks to the theatre’s cozy yet exciting atmosphere.

Tatiana Sanchez, a senior civil engineering major, said the intimate feel that the venue offers made her feel connected to rock band Switchfoot’s members at their recent Sept. 28 concert.

“There was a certain intimacy between the performers and the audience, which made the experience so much better,” Sanchez said. “That’s what really made it a great experience because as we gathered and sang the lyrics out loud, you are able to sing of those things which made us who you are.”

But for music lovers who want to bring the show to their place, The Sound Garden is the spot. As soon as anyone walks into the store and see posters plastered throughout the walls and hear rock, rap and everything in-between booming, the store’s eclectic feel is set.

The record, CD and movie store is a great place to get old-school vinyl, cool posters or mustache fridge magnets for cheap, and has become a hot spot for those visiting Armory Square.

Sophomore early education and early child development major Alyssa Agosto is a frequent Sound Gardener and said the store’s cool vibes and affordability brought her back for Family Weekend.

“The atmosphere is really chill and laid back. There are always people discussing the latest songs or movies,” Agosto said. “But between the racks of posters, CDs and DVDs, and tons of pictures of celebrities who visited the store, there are almost too many cool things to look at. And it’s all so cheap — one time I bought two DVDs for $1 each.”

In the end, Syracuse University students actually don’t even have to leave campus to see the hottest artists. In the past year, SU has welcomed everyone from the Counting Crows to Ludacris to rock its legendary Carrier Dome, and The Game, Frankie Negron, Sammie and Kid Ink to perform in Schine Underground and Goldstein Auditorium.

Brittany Plummer, a sophomore linguistics major, said that her last concert at Goldstein featuring rapper Tyga on Sept. 22 was not only exciting, but also something she’ll never forget.

Plummer reflected on how great her view was from the top row of the balcony during the show, and how much she loved the diversity in music, between the hip-hop and reggae she attributed to Tyga’s half-Jamaican ethnicity.

Said Plummer: “Overall, the concert was very entertaining and fun, and hopefully there is another one like it.”