Fashion

Coffee table books spice up student reading with inside looks at designers

Like most students, your once-beloved “for fun books” probably seem so far away from your desk right now that they might as well shack up with your stuffed animals and high school yearbooks.

Time and time again we go through the same literary dance together. We go into the bookstore looking for the latest John Green novel, buy it and let it practically fall over our stack of academic journals, untouched and unloved.

Coffee table reads can be the few quick reads that provide great insight into fashion-based material. With this week’s announcement of Kylie Minogue releasing a style book of her own in 2013, the British songstress joins a long list of icons-turned-authors who created some of the best guides for the impatient and occasionally swamped reader. The trend of evergreen fashion and beauty books, like Minogue’s, are your new go-to decorative guides for nights where you’re not using your table for some beer-pong action.

To begin finding an ideal piece most suitable for your bookish style needs, start with some of the classics in the genre straight from the makers themselves. Bobbi Brown, famously known for her industry-leading makeup line, creates decade-defining coffee table staples that are known to have inspired some of the top editors at Vogue and Seventeen. From 1998’s “Bobbi Brown Beauty” to 2012’s “Bobbi Brown Pretty Powerful,” both books provide confidence-boosting stories and easy, picture-heavy tutorials — not to mention providing a large hardcover obstruction to cover that coffee stain on your desk.

For a smart choice to show that you’re all grown up from your Full House pajama-wearing days, take a chance with the Olsen twins’ “Influence.” The book is an homage to some of fashion and pop culture’s biggest names. It contains interviews with the likes of Diane von Furstenberg and Terry Richardson, and even gives a look into the lives of the ultra-private twins, who head fashion brands The Row and Elizabeth and James. The photography and substantive chapters are nearly an excuse to trade in your biology book for the night.

No discussion or even mention of fashion goes without saying the name Alexander McQueen. The late artist’s untouchable line defines runways year round and displays the most intriguing and innovative looks in the industry today.

“Alexander McQueen: Evolution” by Katherine Gleason provides the perfect view of McQueen’s greatest shows. With more than 200 pages of glossy, overdramatic ball gowns and monstrous hairdos, this one’s sure to get the crowd talking at your next awards show red carpet viewing party.

One thing to keep in mind on your next bookstore adventure: You do not need a swanky apartment complex overlooking Fifth Avenue to get a decorative, fashion-based read.

With the likes of Alexander McQueen or Francois Nars keeping you company during another night of ramen noodles and primetime TV, delaying another round of Kant philosophy for some runway photo collages never felt so stylish.

Daisy Becerra is a junior magazine journalism major. Her column appears every other Monday. She can be reached at [email protected].