Spice Rack

Back for more: Search for falafel leads to shot at redemption for local Greek restaurant

Danielle Odiamar | Staff Writer

The gyro at Munjed’s Middle Eastern Cafe was simple and made of fluffy pita bread, but the tzatziki was flavorful and fresh.

It all started with a quest; a quest for falafel.

My roommate discovered a hidden love for falafel while studying in London and has been lost without it this whole semester.

We began our search in October and Munjed’s Middle Eastern Cafe onWestcott Streetwas our first stop in what has been a semester-long search for delicious falafel inSyracuse. I tried the falafel pita pocket ($5.99) and my roommate got the falafel wrap ($6.49). We considered sharing a side of hummus, but at $4.99 we thought it was too pricey an indulgence.

Our expectations were unfortunately not met. Call us falafel snobs, but these chubby patties were small and dry. They crumbled a bit with each bite, each of which emphasized the menu description of “mildly spiced.” They were severely lacking in any real kick or flavoring.

But as the weeks rolled by, I was surprised in talking with several other people who said they had great experiences at Munjed’s. Chalking it up to a bad night and giving in to my Mediterranean cuisine cravings, I gave Munjed’s a shot at redemption.

I took my other roommate who had not been as scarred and discouraged as the first one. The small eatery was almost empty, just like the first time I visited.

This time around I decided to get a classic gyro, thin strips of a lamb and beef blend in a pita. I got the dinner platter ($12.99) that came with a Greek salad and a side of tzatziki, a tangy garlic flavored yogurt sauce.

The gyro was as simple as it got, in appearance, texture and flavor, before I stuffed the warm, fluffy pita with some of my Greek salad. I’m sure they assume that’s what everyone will do, but by leaving the gyro as bare as can be, it makes the bland flavors and slightly overcooked meat easily noticeable. The simple addition of some cucumbers and hummus would have made it more dynamic.

That being said, the cool, creamy tzatziki was a flavorful blessing as well as the fresh and colorful Greek salad, a pleasure to see and eat. It came in a very generous heap, tossed and perfectly dressed. They were particularly generous with the feta cheese and olives that made the taste decadent but still refreshing and light.

My roommate and I also shared a side of Spanakopita, one of my favorite Greek foods. I was taken aback to see the thick, flakey pie I usually get replaced with a swirl of phyllo dough resembling a cinnamon roll.

I was skeptical with my first bite. It was more doughy than flaky but still had a nice crispness. The spinach and cheese filling was a little overpowered by the dough, but the pungent taste of olive oil, garlic and onion punched through. By my second bite, I was sold on Munjed’s untraditional take on the classic spinach pie.

Our friendly and attentive waitress checked in with us often as we ate. Sitting comfortably without any rush, the sandy walls with a camel-print border made it really feel like an authentic experience. We even found ourselves enjoying the chanting rhythm of the background music.

The authentic atmosphere provided a nearby escape to the East. Despite some trip ups with the food I would come back again just for the Greek salad and the Spanakopita, and an eager hunger to see what else on the menu I liked. Fingers crossed that they’ll step up their falafel so that both my roommates can come along.