Spice Rack

Artfully done: Good food, artistic setting make for pleasant package in understated location

Katie Connelly | Contributing Photographer

The smoked hickory turkey sandwich at Recess West on Tulley Avenue, served with avocado and spicy salt, offers a tasty option for frequenters of the coffee shop. The Tulley Street location is the second Recess coffee shop in the Syracuse area.

After a dizzying spin through the construction-obstructed streets of Syracuse, my dining partner and I finally found ourselves in the quiet Tully Street neighborhood. The street was lined with small houses, a school and a gated playground up ahead.

Sitting alongside the dark brick building, Recess West’s bright purple exterior caught our eye.

Stepping in from the cold, the cafe’s warmth enveloped us and the friendly woman behind the counter greeted us immediately. We were surprised to be the only ones in the shop, but the quiet atmosphere matched the neighborhood. Rubbing my frozen hands together, the hot chocolate selection immediately jumped out at me. Each flavor could also be brewed as a cappuccino, but there’s nothing better to warm you inside and out than chocolate.

I was torn between the Elvis — a mix of chocolate, peanut butter and banana — and the Mexican, with cinnamon and cayenne pepper. The woman behind the counter advised me the Elvis was particularly sweet, which I tend to steer clear from. So I decided on a small cup of the Mexican ($2.75). It was thick but creamy and very rich in chocolate flavor. I was glad it wasn’t brewed too hot because the surprising kick of heat from the cayenne pepper after each sip would have been lost.

I also stole a few sips of my dining partner’s Nutella hot chocolate. I personally am not the biggest Nutella fan, but this creamy cup of vanilla and hazelnut flavors was not too sweet and hit all the right notes with me.

Once I started to warm up I realized that I was also starving. I have only tried the baked goods at the Westcott-area Recess, so I figured this would be a good opportunity to try the sandwiches. The Spicy Avocado sandwich ($5.75) with fresh chopped avocado, spicy salt and your choice of toppings looked delicious. But I was in the mood for a heartier sandwich, so I decided to order the Hickory Smoked Turkey ($5.75) sandwich with avocado (additional $0.75) and spicy salt. The selection of bread was limited to white and wheat, but the soft, nutty, wheat bread served just fine for me.

After one bite I began considering why every sandwich doesn’t come with spicy salt. The seasoning is a flavorful mix that isn’t too spicy, but provides a peppered flavor that makes the other good sandwich ingredients great. Though I was happy I went with the turkey sandwich, it was clear that the generous scoop of avocado could have stood on its own.

As we ate at the long communal table I was particularly happy to see that, like the other Recess location, board games and toys were stacked up on a shelf, ready to go. I was curious, however, if the pencil double my size propped up in the corner could actually write. As if reading my mind, Guy Cardone walked up to greet us. The 2012 Syracuse University alumnus was a sculpture major and now works on the managerial crew at 601 Tully helping to make the space a communal space for art, events and after school programs. He also made the giant pencil, which, he informed me, can write.

I realized that the bright atmosphere of the shop was not only a pleasant escape from the frigid gray outside, but a reflection of the great things the group at 601 was doing there.

Unless you have class at the Warehouse, Recess West is a bit out of the way and a little difficult to find if you don’t have a car. Regardless, I grabbed a flyer for the poetry reading on Thursday, Nov. 8, and a frequent buyer card, with every intention of making the journey back to the charming 601 Tully St. again soon.