Syracuse after dark

All in the music

Music is a powerful tool. It can alter the mood of a room in a matter of seconds, serving as a catalyst for anything from a good long cry to an out-of-control dance party.

Every well-informed college student should have a series of playlists always handy. Whether you’re getting ready to go out or getting serious before a big exam, use music to set the scene.

—Compiled by The Daily Orange Feature Staff, [email protected]

Pregame

“Kiss Kiss” — Chris Brown feat. T-Pain

Chris Brown has swerved in and out of controversy over the last few years, but one constant has remained: The boy can dance. And when you listen to this song, it’s as if something washes over you and your feet begin to tap as if you, too, can kick those crazy grooves. The thing is, you probably can’t. But you can go out and rage right after to release that adrenaline.

“Africa” — Karl Wolf feat. Culture

Two sure-fire musical cues to get people pumped up: sing-a-longs and reggae. This remix of a classic gives “Africa” potent reggae flair, and the beat that drops after the melodic intro packs a serious punch. You won’t be able to stay in after blaring this.

“Clique” — Kanye West feat. Jay-Z and Big Sean

A hit off Kanye West’s latest collaborative album, “Cruel Summer,” this song features a trifecta of hip-hop collaboration with Kanye, Jay-Z and Big Sean. It’s hard not to be drawn in, especially after hearing Big Sean’s now-legendary opening line: “Oh God.”

“Goldie” — A$AP Rocky

A$AP Rocky’s first single, “Purple Swag,” made him an artist to watch, but “Goldie” establishes him as a certified hip-hop genius. Listen to this song and pretend you’re swilling champagne and rocking Margiela’s with no laces, just like Rocky.

“I Knew You Were Trouble” — Taylor Swift

One of T-Swift’s newest singles from “Red” delves into dubstep with a drop that will surprise even the most loyal of Swift fans. And despite her typical somber lyrics, one can’t help but dance and sing along.

“Live While We’re Young” — One Direction

Although not everyone may admit it, few can resist this sultry British boy band. Jump around to the peppy tune, and remind yourself to take that message to the party.

“Swimming Pools (Drank)” — Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick wants to fill a swimming pool of liquor and dive in it, and after grooving to the Compton rapper’s pensive flows, you’ll want to jump in the pool, too.

“The Nights of Wine and Roses” — Japandroids

Nothing says booze like four-chord garage rock, vocals you can shout along with and lyrics like, “So we yell like hell to the heavens.” Party on.

Study

“Clair de Lune” — Debussy

Countless studies have linked classical music with increased cognitive ability, so any classical music is highly recommended. But Debussy’s masterpiece is hard to beat. Its beautiful, tranquil melody will keep you relaxed while maintaining your focus.

“Knowledge of Self” — Blackstar

This song is laid back but driven forward by intelligent, inspiring rhetoric. Yasiin Bey, formerly known as Mos Def, and Talib Kweli are two of the smartest emcees in rap music, and grooving to them while you work can only lead to good things.

“Stars” — The Xx

This quiet duet by The Xx is perfect background music for a study session. The simple melody and love-struck lyrics will keep you in good spirits during a long night at your desk.

“Born To Die” — Lana Del Rey

Whether you love her or you hate her, Lana Del Rey’s “Born to Die” is hands-down one of the best songs of 2012. Lana’s smooth, almost monotone voice will keep you relaxed and calm without distracting you from your work.

“Me vs. Maradona vs. Elvis” — Brand New

There’s just something soothing about having Jesse Lacey crooning in your headphones while you type out an essay. It’s probably the guitar solo that thunders into the song halfway through that’ll keep your spirits up.

“We Drift Like Worried Fire” — Godspeed You! Black Emperor

When it comes to studying, nothing beats good-old instrumental post rock. This 20-minute opus spans from low-key electronic fuzz to sweeping, orchestral highs.

“Leave The Lights On” — Meiko

This soft crooning paired with a light beat and strumming of an acoustic guitar will both simultaneously make you tap your feet and mellow you out. While the lyrics weren’t initially meant for this, it’ll remind you to leave the lights on so that you won’t fall asleep.

“Hanging On” — Ellie Goulding ft. Tinie Tempah

Goulding’s voice can be best described as haunting. Her slightly shrill, high tones send chills through a listener’s body. Tempah’s verse offers a complementary alternative, maintaining the slow tempo, but adding a tough flow.