Common Ground For Peace

Tuesday afternoon panel added to symposium

UPDATED: Oct. 9, 12:06 a.m.

An additional panel has been added to the Common Ground for Peace Symposium for Tuesday afternoon.

The panel, titled “The Past is Not the Past: The Continuing Quest for Racial Justice and Peace,” is from 1 to 3 p.m. in the Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium in Newhouse III. Tickets are not required for the event, according to the One World website.

The panel will discuss topics addressed in the previous panels led by the Dalai Lama on Monday morning and afternoon. Panelists include former U.N. Ambassador Andrew Young, Martin Luther King III and professors Linda Carty, Janis McDonald and Paula Johnson, according to the website.

The Dalai Lama will not be present.

The panel will primarily focus on racial issues in the U.S. and how it relates to peace, said Johnson, a professor in the law school and a co-director of the Cold Case Justice Initiative.

“Can we talk about peace without also talking about the issue of justice?” Johnson said. “We wanted to create a space for this dialogue.”

The Cold Case Justice Initiative is a project run through the College of Law, co-directed by Johnson and McDonald. It seeks justice for racially motivated murders during the Civil Rights era, according to the Cold Case Justice Initiative website.

The panel will include a “rich” collection of panelists, Johnson said. Young has been involved in civil and human rights throughout his career, and King and his family have strong connections to the civil rights movement as well. Carty has collaborated with the Cold Case Justice Initiative in the past, and has worked on racial and social justice issues as well.

Attendees are encouraged to actively participate in the discussion via Twitter by using the hashtag, #CGPJustice, according to the website.

– Asst. News Editor Jessica Iannetta contributed reporting to this article.